Sunday, August 5, 2018

Death in a White Tie (Redux)

Death in a White Tie is my absolute favorite Ngaio Marsh novel. I have read it many times and watched the BBC episode starring Patrick Malahide several times as well. This is the second time I have listened to Benedict Cumberbatch read in the audio novel version. I have posted a more thorough review (when I read this in 2014) which may be found HERE.

This time I will merely repeat what I said then: This is, I believe, one of Marsh's best novels. It doesn't matter that I've read it before and know who the culprit is. I enjoy every minute that I spend in the company of the dashing gentleman policeman, Roderick Alleyn.

And add--that Benedict Cumberbatch does a marvelous job giving voice to all the characters. It is great fun to hear him speak in the high fluting tones of Lord Robert Gospell.

*This qualifies for the Just the Facts Challenge as the "Best of List" entry. Nick over at Mystery Mile mentions in a review of Ngaio Marsh's work rates Death in a White Tie as "the best of all (and my favourite)" and also quotes Dashiell Hammett as saying, "Ngaio Marsh’s Death in a White Tie is the best detective story I have ever read…." ★★★★

[Finished 7/26/18]


No comments: