Thursday, January 1, 2015

2014 Year in Review

 
image credit


Another reading and blogging year has come and gone and it's time to look back at the highlights and see what kind of year 2014 was here at My Reader's Block.

Challenges remain my biggest passion (after reading, of course). Over the course of the year, I signed up for and completed 47 challenges. [So much for any promises to control myself.] I started with my very own Vintage Mystery Challenge and was busy signing up right till the end--joining Michelle's Christmas Spirit Challenge in November to carry me through to the New Year. I've met my goal on that one--but may add a few more before the January 6 deadline. But joining isn't the only challenge-related business here at the Block. Oh, no. Hosting is a big thing too. The most popular are the Vintage Mystery Challenge and Mount TBR. I'm so grateful to everyone who joined me in the Reader's Block Bingo Hall for a round or two of mystery bingo. In fact, I had so much fun with it...we're going to do it again in 2015. The cards have been scrambled and there are a few new bingo categories--so if you haven't played mystery bingo yet, head on over and secure your place at the table. We'd love to have you. The Color Coded and Read It Again, Sam Challenges were also popular.  But the overwhelming favorite remains the Mount TBR Challenge with participants in the blogging world as well as on GoodReads. Thanks to everyone who joined me in my own personal brand of challenge-madness!

It seems to be a recurring theme...but I continue to regret my loss of blog-browsing time. Someone stole a few of my hours somewhere--or I'm just slowing down as I get older [did I really say that?]--and I apologize to all my friends out here in the blogging world.  I'm still peeking in on most of you--but it's more of a fly-by, I'm afraid, with very little commenting.  I did manage to get through nearly all of the reviews--especially for the Vintage Mystery Challenge, the challenge that is nearest and dearest to my heart. I want to send a shout-out to the bloggers who make this such a great place to visit and chat and read: Sergio at the Fedora, John at Pretty Sinister Books, Yvette at In So Many Words, Kerrie at Mysteries in Paradise, Curtis at The Passing Tramp, Steve at In Search of the Classic Mystery, Noah at Noah's Archives, Freda at Freda's Voice and Cheryl and Gina and all the others that I'm having an almost-senior moment and forgetting. You all continually feed my reading and/or challenge addictions and help my never-ending TBR pile to grow.

Thank you once more to all of the wonderful people out here in the blogosphere--those who follow and just take a peek now and then, those who comment, and those who have become close blogging buddies--especially those of you who share my love of vintage mysteries; I have appreciated your knowledge and insights on my favorite genre. Thanks as well to all who sponsored the many challenges which helped feed my reading/challenge habit--they were all great fun!  I hope you all have a fabulous New Year! 

And, finally, my year-end stat totals:

Total Books Read: 191
Total Pages: 46,173
Percentage by Female Authors: 45%
Percentage by US Authors: 62%
Percentage by non-US/non-British Authors: 10%
 

1 Argentine  
2 Australian
2 Canadian

1 Chinese
2 Dutch
1 French
1 German
1 Hungarian
1 Japanese

1 New Zealand
1 Polish
1 Russian 

3 Scottish
2 Swedish

Percentage Mystery: 73%
Percentage Fiction: 92%
Percentage written 2000+: 28%
Percentage of Rereads: 4%
Percentage Read for Challenges: 100%
Number of Challenges fulfilled: 47 (100%)


The Best Reads of 2014 (no rereads allowed)

Five Stars: 
India Black & the Gentleman Thief by Carol K. Carr

Then Gone by Romayne Rubinas
Triumph by Philip Wylie  
Mind Fields: The Art of Jacek Yerka/The Fiction of Harlan Ellison by Yerka & Ellison 

Four & 1/2 Stars:
Sinners & the Sea by Rebecca Kanner

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes  

Four & 1/4 Stars:

The Mammoth Book of the Lost Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes by Denis O. Smith

Four Stars:
 Too Many to List--46 over all

One more Wrap-Up Post coming--with Awards, High-lights...and low-lights.
 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Bev! Looks like you had a great year. Can't wait to see where you go this year.

Bev Hankins said...

Thanks, Geoff! And Happy New Year to you as well.