|Image free from freevectors.com|
Bla bla bla books says:
I love georgaphy-based challenges. You know, the ones that make you feel like you are visiting all those wonderful places. But I always see the restriction: only real countries/states/places count. That sounds so unfair! What for all the wonderful places that are out of this world and time!
Here are the rules:
- the goal is to visit via books as many places out of this world as possible! Out of this world can include other planets and stars (including the Moon!), completely different worlds (like Middle Earth), paralel worlds, dream worlds, distant future and distant past (I am talking dinos here. Not the 80's), heaven and hell... and so on.
- It can be just a visit to this place. It counts even if only part of the book is set there.
- all books finished in 2014 count. It's okay if you started the book before January the 1st.
- No need to review, just if you feel like it. In the end just a list of the books read and the places visited is all you need.
- no need to have a blog. You can link to any public profile, or keep track in the comments
- any lenght, any format, any genre
- You can pick one of the levels (and you can move up or down) or you can set your own goal
- Few steps away - 5 places to visit
- Over the rainbow - 10 places
- Where no man has been before - 15 places
- Above and beyond - 25 places
- Out of this world - 40 places
And--I've already got some qualifying books. Yay!
1. The Poison Belt by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1/2/14)
2. Shakespeare's Planet by Clifford D Simak (1/6/14)
3. Dangerous Visions #3 by Harlan Ellison, ed (1/11/14)
4. Angels & Spaceships by Fredric Brown (1/12/14)
5. The Xibalba Murders by Lyn Hamilton (1/18/14) [snippets involving the Mayan underworld]
6. Triumph by Philip Wylie (1/18/14) [post-apocalyptic Earth]
7. Other Times, Other Worlds by John D. MacDonald (1/26/14) [future Earth & other worlds]
8. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K Dick (1/29/14) [post-apocalyptic Earth]
9. Cursed in the Act by Raymond Buckland (2/16/14) [Victorian England]
10. To Kingdom Come by Will Thomas (2/26/14) [Victorian England]
11. The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick (2/27/14) [alternate history]
12. Murder in the Vatican by Ann Margaret Lewis (3/5/14) [Victorian England]
13. The Poisoned Island by Lloyd Shepherd (3/8/14) [Regency England/Tahiti]
14. John Smith: Last Known Survivor of the Microsoft Wars by Roland Hughes (3/17/14) [Dystopian future Earth]
15. Harlan Ellison's 7 Against Chaos by Harlan Ellison (3/17/14) [Dystopian/Chaotic future Earth]
16. India Black & the Gentleman Thief by Carol K. Carr (3/19/14) [Victorian England]