SCAM artist alert

Apparently there is someone calling themself "Luigi Calloway" out there who is claiming to be associated with the Mount TBR Reading Challenge. He is contacting authors and telling them if they pay him, then their books will be used for the challenge. It's possible he's also telling people they must pay to participate in any way. Please know that there is absolutely no charge associated in any way with this reading challenge and that this person does not represent me or anything associated with my blog. There will NEVER be a reason for anyone to have to pay for participation in any way for any of my challenges. If only people who exert this much time and effort on scamming people would put it into something worthwhile....like reading their own books!

Monday, January 13, 2014

Bout of Books Wrap-Up

So....how did I do with the Bout of Books Read-a-Thon? Not too well with the daily participation--I took part in only two of the mini-challenges and didn't get a single update entered.  Boo!  I did (almost) manage to complete all five books as planned--if I hadn't had to go to sleep last night so I could go to work today then I would have finished the Rendell book.  So--Books Read? Participation D+  I'll have to work on that next time around.  But--I'm still glad to have joined in...it kept me motivated and on-track as I start out a new year of reading.

1. Shakespeare's Planet by Clifford D. Simak (done! Hope they're all that easy! 1/6/14)
2. The Skeleton in the Clock by Carter Dickson (1/8/14)
3. Shake Hands Forever by Ruth Rendell (90% finished 1/12/14--completed today)
4. Angels & Spaceships by Fredric Brown (1/12/14)
5. Dangerous Visions 3 by Harlan Ellison, ed (1/11/14)

2 comments:

Yvette said...

Bev, while you've been reading up a storm already in the new year I am embarrassed to report that I've read nothing, NOTHING new - I've just been searching through my bookshelves, reading comfort-food type books to tide me over until I began the 'real' reading of the year. I've just ordered a few books from the library so we'll see what happens when they're ready to be picked up. I'm just in the funniest mood - not that there's much I can do about it. Feeling out of sorts - reading wise. Just seeming to need the comfort of my very faves.

I haven't even bothered to list them on my blog and won't. I'll begin listing once I shake free of this new year inertia.

Just ordered a hard-cover copy of Agatha Christie's THE SECRET OF CHIMNEYS which is a book I could read over and over again very happily. My paperback copy fell apart (it was very old) so I was lucky to happen upon a hard cover re-issue. Can't wait to get it. Didn't cost much at all. But now I can read and re-read it to my heart's content.

But that's what I mean, I'm just drifting along.

P.S. As usual, I am amazed by your industry. I wish you'd blog about how you go about reading so many books over the course of a year. How you organize them all and such.

You have much to teach us, Bev.

Bev Hankins said...

The secret? Just go crazy with challenges. Be anal-retentive enough that you cannot stand to leave something unfinished and then read every spare minute you've got until your eyeballs fall out (or it feels like they might anyway).

I try to be organized--and to a certain extent I manage it (particularly with the mysteries). But I always wind up changing horses in midstream. There are a couple of books (Death Walks in Eastrepps comes to mind) that I keep putting on challenges and then looking at when it's time to read and saying..."Nah."