This was my third year to join Carl over at Stainless Steel Droppings in his R.I.P. VIII ( R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril) "Challenge." Thanks so much to Carl for sponsoring this spooky fall reading treat!
I had been saving up suitable books all year and I was all set to do
Read four books, any length, that you feel fit (the very broad definitions) of R.I.P. literature. It could be King or Conan Doyle, Penny or Poe, Chandler or Collins, Lovecraft or Leroux…or anyone in between.
My original plan called for six books, anything beyond that was bonus. I really overachieved on the Peril books this year:
1. This New & Poisonous Air by Adam McOmber (9/3/13)
2. The Haunted Doll's House by M. R. James (10/9/13)
3. Famous Ghost Stories by Bennett Cerf (ed) [9/13/13]
4. The Temple of Death by A. C. & R. H. Benson (9/16/13)
5. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (9/24/13)
6. The Croquet Player by H. G. Wells (9/4/13)
7. The Yard by Alex Grecian (9/9/13)
8. The Dreadful Hollow by Nicholas Blake (9/19/13)
9. Death Knocks Three Times by Anthony Gilbert (9/27/13)
10. Unthinkable by Richard Cibrano (10/12/13)
11. Murder at Cambridge by Q. Patrick (10/15/13)
12. Cold Earth by Sarah Moss (10/18/13)
13. Dead of a Counterplot by Simon Nash (10/20/13)
14. The Water Room by Christopher Fowler (10/25/13)
15. Gently Go Man by Alan Hunter (10/27/13)
This is for those who like to watch suitably scary, eerie, mysterious gothic fare during this time of year. It may be something on the small screen or large. It might be a television show, like Dark Shadows or Midsomer Murders, or your favorite film.
And....I also decided to perhaps do a little viewing--but had no set plan for this. Wound up with just three.
1. The Case of the Whitechapel Vampire (8/31/13)
2. Night Gallery (pilot episode) [9/29/13]
3. The Haunting (1963 film) [10/7/13]