Super Book Password

Noah and John are the winners in the the third round of Super Book Password. Noah correctly guessed my first Movie Title ("Bringing Up Baby") and John has snagged the points on the second ("Around the World in 80 Days"). Next week will bring a new Password Category: Musical Group.


Some of Bev's Favorite Quotes...



Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Crime Fiction Alphabet: Letter N


I have signed up for a second year of The Alphabet in Crime Fiction, a community meme sponsored by Mysteries in Paradise. Each week she'll be expecting participants to produce a post featuring a mystery/crime novel or novelist related to that week's letter. 
I hope our hostess and my fellow alphabet tourists will forgive me for wandering aimlessly about this summer and totally losing my way.  I skipped out on "J," managed to rejoin the group for "K," and got lost again on "L" and "M."  So....we're all ready for "N," are we?  Okay....

N is for Meredith Nicholson (hey!  this could make up for me missing "M" too!).  What do you mean you never heard of Meredith Nicholson?  Why, he's that best-selling author (newspaperman, politician, and diplomat) from Indiana.  Most of his writing focuses on the triumph of young love over various obstacles thrown in its path. This is true, in a way, even of the mystery novel that I read this year.  He was born in 1866 in Crawfordsville and had three books hit the bestseller list:

  • The House of a Thousand Candles (#4 in 1906)
  • The Port of Missing Men (#3 in 1907)
  • A Hoosier Chronicle (#5 in 1912)
Not nearly as well known today as his contemporaries, Booth Tarkington and James Whitcomb Riley, he is, however credited with helping to create a Golden Age of Indiana literature.  (We had a Golden Age of literature here in Indiana?  I never realized.  I mean--I knew about Tarkington and Riley, but can't say I ever thought of them in the same sentence as Golden Age.)  The main reason I know anything at all about Nicholson is that I did a reading challenge (no, really, Bev? you--do a reading challenge? surely not).  And the challenge required that we read one novel set in the state/province where we live.  By chance, I had picked up Nicholson's The House of a Thousand Candles at our library's used book shop sometime last year--so I promptly made that my choice.


For a much better look at Meredith Nicholson than I've given here, please click on his name.  And for a review of The House of a Thousand Candles, please click above.



7 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

Bev - Now see? I lived right next door so to speak in Illinois for a few years and never knew about Indiana's Golden Age either. Bad Margot! But I am glad you featured Nicholson for this meme. He's an author whose work I've never read and ought to try.

Peter Reynard said...

And I lived in Ohio and Pennsylvania and never knew either. The things ya learn. :)

Carol said...

Add me to the list of people who never knew Indiana had such a rich history, although I did read the other day that 80% of all RV's are made in your state. And why did I think you lived in Kansas?

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like a fun thing to do, but I doubt I could keep up.

Stopping by from the Partners in Crime Host List of Hosts...been here before visiting as well.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
http://silversolara.blogspot.com

Bev Hankins said...

Carol: I have no idea why you thought I lived Kansas. And, no, I don't have a dog named Toto, either. :-)

Peggy Ann said...

Sounds really interesting Bev. Will be on the look out for his books!

Scott said...

Interesting. Goes way back. :)