Saturday, September 24, 2011

Saturday Snapshot: September 24

Saturday Snapshot is a meme hosted by Alyce at At Home with Books. All you have to do is "post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken and then leave a direct link to your post in the Mr. Linky on [her] blog. Photos can be old or new, and be of anything as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give is up to you." All she asks is that you don't just post random photos that you find online. (Click picture for close-up.)



Our local library is really cool. Every summer they run a themed children's program. Everything from hunting for buried treasure in the books they find at the library to camping out to this year's "Read & Get Moving" (combining a reading program with activities to get kids active too). One of the first years that my son and I participated (he was only two--but there was a level for pre-readers). The theme was "Science & Fiction." I thought it was SO cool that they had this giant model of the Enterprise displayed above old main entrance.


13 comments:

sadie607 said...

How cool! I love when libraries do fun things for kids to encourage reading.

Trish said...

I love it when libraries have events like that. It makes the library more of a community center, and - oh look! there are books here, too. It's great when kids can 'discover' books while they're doing other cool stuff.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, I do love when libraries do this kind of thing. Awesome photos!

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I hope it created a lot of interest!

Jill Buck said...

I love programs at the library, we've been participating at ours for about five years now and the kids love it.

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

That is so neat, I love it!

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

A giant model of the Enterprise would get ME in the door! That is a great idea, though, to get the young people interested.

Stephen said...

As a trekkie, I would swoon over this display. :D

bermudaonion said...

My husband would have loved that! He's watching the original Star Trek series now.

Bev Hankins said...

@smellincoffee: I did swoon over it back in '94 when it was on display. I went to the library with my son, saw it, swooned, went home and got my camera.

Alyce said...

I would have loved seeing something like this in my library too - I love Star Trek!

Christine Rains said...

Awesome! That is a great theme. Thank you for sharing and for stopping by my blog. :)

Cipriano said...

I'm a fan of the older [original] version of Star Trek -- but not a "Trekkie" or anything.
I love Jeopardy even more, so I guess that makes me a "Trebekkie"?
Nice pics. Our Library never seems to do anything nice and theme-y like that.