Friday, April 1, 2011

A-Z Blogging Challenge: Letter A


The A-Z Blogging Challenge proposes that we post something on our blog every day but Sundays in April. Twenty-six days of posting--one for each letter of the alphabet. Since my blog is primarily a reading blog, my goal will be to do 26 posts that feature a reading or bookish theme. Let's kick off the challenge with the Letter A and A is for Academic Mysteries.


I am a mystery lover. There are various sub-genres of the field that I love--everything from Vintage/Golden Age mysteries to those with historical settings. One of my more recent favorites is the Academic Mystery. Now, my definition may not precisely coincide with a more accepted or expected definition. For my purposes an academic mystery must have one or more of the following: a professor or teacher acting as the primary (amateur) detective; a professor or teacher as the victim, culprit or essential main character; and/or a school or university setting. My love for this sort of mystery has loaded my shelves with all sorts of unlikely looking specimens. Sometimes I wind up with a real gem and sometimes I shake my head over what I have bought just because the back cover mentions Professor So-and-So or Whatsit Univeristy.


And within the sub-genre of academic mystery there is everything from the series with a university setting to stand-alone novels that have professors sprinkled in the mix. Some of my favorite acedimc series are Amanda Cross' series starring Kate Fansler, M. D. Lake's campus cop Peggy O'Neill, Edmund Crispin's eccentric Oxford don Gervase Fen, and Charlotte MacLeod's very funny Peter Shandy series. Kate Fansler is a witty, smart, feminist professor who finds herself mixed up in mysteries that often give her creator Amanda Cross (Carolyn Heilbrun, a professor herself) a chance to air her own views on women in the academy. Never preachy, the stories bring to life what it was like for women in the 1960s (and beyond) to make their way in a male-dominated world. This series also highlights Kate's relationship with her husband, Reed. It is one of those true partnerships that one would hope all couples aspire to. Campus cop Peggy O'Neill is more of a blue collar, hardworking policewoman trying to make her way through the mysteries of the ivory tower. She also finds herself in the middle between the academics and the city police. The tension of Peggy's position makes for an interesting story line. Gervase Fen is an eccentric and sometimes absent-minded Oxford don whose adventures are complex and fantastic with sometimes unbelievable solutions, but always fun and funny. I read the Crispin novels for pure enjoyment. The same is true of the Peter Shandy series. These mysteries are not for the who-dunnit fans who must have every I dotted and every T crossed; they are for students of life who want to see their professors as the human and sometimes humorous people they are.


My all-time favorite stand-alone novel is Dorothy L Sayers' Gaudy Night. Focused on a poison pen loose in a women's college, there is no murder in this one, but it is a story of human emotion and what crimes can be done to love and in the name of love. I would probably credit my interest in academic crime to this story of Lord Peter Wimsey and his lady-love, Harriet Vane. That and the fact that I work for a univeristy. It is very interesting to me to read mysteries with an academic setting and see how many types I recognize. There are often characters that read exactly like professors in my own English Department. Other very good stand-alone academic mysteries include Seven Suspects (aka Death at the President's Lodge) and The Open House--both by Michael Innes and Literary Murder by Batya Gur.


Although the two Innes books share the same detective, Inspector, later Sir, John Appleby, there is no other connection between the two. In Seven Suspects, Inspector Appleby is on the grounds of St. Anthony's College and he must confront academic intrigues, scholarly scandals and one clever killer. And it is not a nice quite, intellectual murder. It is a vulgar and ungentlemanly crime with bones scattered about the room, a grotesque drawing of grinning death's-heads scrawled on the wall, and President Umpleby's head wrapped up in an academic robe. Then in The Open House Sir John's car breaks down on a deserted road. He wanders up a drive in search of assistance. What he finds at the end of the drive is a large house with all the lights blazing merrily away. Candles are lit, champagne is on ice, and dinner is waiting in the dining room. But there is no one to be found to answer his calls for help. In this adventure he faces an absent-minded professor, a mysterious lady in white, South American conspirators, several murders and their victims.




Batya Gur's Literary Murder is one of those chance encounters. I found this one in the bargain bin at Borders (long before it closed, sigh). I was hooked from the first line of the back cover blurb: A star poet at a Hebrew University is beaten to death in his office. It also made a first for me...an academic mystery set in Jerusalem. Ms. Gur's police detective Michael Ohayon is a college graduate, so he is able to move easily in the academic world. This mystery was a delight in many ways, not least because it came up with a new motive for murder (new to me, anyway).

10 comments:

Tea said...

I luv mysteries. I enjoyed your entry this morning. This is my first time doing the challenge. Do we go to the listed blogs on the sign up sheet and visit? Thank you for the new book titles.

Bev Hankins said...

This is my first time too. So I'm not sure....

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reviews. I do love mysteries, especially with intellectual centers as the setting. I use M.I.T. myself.

Budd said...

congrats to your son on Eagle, that is a big deal. I only got up to star before I did the math and realized I couldn't make it (late start in scouts).

Talli Roland said...

I didn't realise such a subgenre existed. Interesting!

fredamans said...

Very cool post. I learned something new about sub genres in vintage mysteries!

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2011/04/is-for-april.html

Michelle Mach said...

Thanks for this list! Amanda Cross was the only one I'd read. I also enjoy Gillian Roberts, who has a high school teacher as the detective.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
They all sound like great books. I'll have to check into those. Thanks for sharing and stopping by my place. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books
http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/

Ellie Garratt said...

A fascinating post. I never read mysteries but perhaps I should!

Ellie Garratt

Ella said...

I now want to read a mystery! Interesting post~