Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Wondrous Words Wednesday


Kathy over at Bermudaonion's Weblog hosts Wondrous Words Wednesday. If you come across a word (or two) while reading that is new to you and would like to share your new knowledge, then hop over to Kathy's place and link up!

Here's what I've got this week from Burial Deferred by Jonathan Ross:

Architraves:
1. The lowermost part of an entablature (or beam) in classical architecture that rests directly on top of a column. Also called epistyle.
2. The molding around a door or window.

Context: ...the tall windows in its lower two stories mullioned and topped with moulded architraves. (p. 24)

Ineluctable: not to be avoided, changed, or resisted
Detritus:
Accumulated material; debris

Context: With the ineluctable routine of a murder investigation under way, his staff busy ferreting for the detritus of violent death, the confidence of a fully-equipped mind seemed to be back with him. (p. 110)

5 comments:

Joy Weese Moll said...

I knew detritus, but the others are new to me. Thanks!

bermudaonion said...

Detritus was the only one I knew as well. I might be able to use ineluctable, but I doubt I'll ever use architraves. They're all great words!

Julie P. said...

Wow! Those are some good ones. I only knew detritus too!

Anonymous said...

I knew all three of them, but I wasn't aware that architraves had a final "s". Thank you for sharing!

Julie @ Read Handed said...

Good ones! I think this actually counts as four because I had no idea what "entablature" meant! Or "epistyle". In all, learning a lot here. :)