Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Films of Sherlock Holmes: Mini-Review

The Films of Sherlock Holmes (1978) by Chris Steinbrunner and Norman Michaels is an interesting look at the Great Detective in film from the earliest days of silent movies--with the detective's first onscreen adventure lasting only a few minutes--through Nicholas Meyers' The Seven Percent Solution. There are lots of black and white pictures--a surprising amount from the early years considering how few of those films have survived--and the synopses of the movies are detailed. Some might say too much so because the endings are revealed. Fortunately, I have seen nearly all of the Holmes films that are available so not many were spoiled for me. It was great fun to read through this and remind myself of all the Holmes films I have watched over the years...and if I weren't trying to beat the 2014 time clock to squeeze in enough books to "outdo" my number read in 2013 I would be tempted to watch a few of these.  ★★★★

2 comments:

fredamans said...

I'm trying to squeeze a couple more in too... lol... I am at 98 when I need 100! :-)
This looks like something my hubby would like, though I bet he has seen most if not all of the films. Great review!

Alex @ The Blethering Bookworm said...

This sounds like an interesting read/flick through.

I have seen quite a few of the Sherlock films and despite some of them being ridiculous they are always entertaining! :)