Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Mount TBR 2014 Final Checkpoint


Wow. We're almost done with 2014 and it's time to get ready for the Final Mountaineering Checkpoint. Where does the time go? I'm ready to hear how all our mountain-climbing team members have done out there on Pike's Peak, Mt. Ararat, Mt. Everest....whichever peak you've chosen. Checkpoint participation is absolutely voluntary and is not considered necessary for challenge completion.

For those who would like to participate in this checkpoint post, I'd like you to at least complete the first of these two things.  And if you feel particularly inspired (or generous about humoring me during the holiday season), then please do both.

1. Tell us how many miles you made it up your mountain (# of books read). If you've planted your flag on the peak, then tell us and celebrate (and wave!).  Even if you were especially athletic and have been sitting atop your mountain for months, please check back in and remind us how quickly you sprinted up that trail. And feel free to tell us about any particularly exciting book adventures you've had along the way.

2. The Year in Review According to Mount TBR: Using the titles of the books you read this year, please associate as many statements as you can with a book read on your journey up the Mountain.  I have given my titles as examples.

Describe yourself:
The Lady in Black
Describe where you currently live: Madman's Bend
If you could go anywhere where would you go?: The Kingdom by the Sea
 
Every Monday morning I look/feel like: A Hangman's Dozen
The last time I went to the doctor/therapist was because: I ate too much Red Herring
The last meal I ate was: Roast Eggs
When a creepy guy/girl asks me for my phone number, I: know it would be a Date With Danger
Ignorant politicians make me: Sick to Death (review coming soon)
Some people need to spend more time: learning The Secret of the Gondola
My memoir could be titled: Only a Matter of Time
If I could, I would tell my teenage self: You Can Write a Mystery but It's Not All Flowers & Sausages

I've always wondered: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?



And what do you get for all that hard work? The Checkpoint will close at 11:59 pm on Sunday, January 4. On Monday I will crank up the Custom Random Number Generator and pick a winning climber. He or she will have the chance to add to their TBR stack via my gently-used book vault (prize list will be sent). This prize is the only book given to you in 2015 that may count towards a 2015 TBR climb.

Even if you're not in the mood for a prize or if you got distracted by pretty scenery or side trails (library books, ARCs, what-have-you), I'd love to have you check in and tell us how your 2015 mountain climb went!

***Please note--Links are for Checkpoint posts only. Links that are not Checkpoint-specific will be removed--to make it easier for me to track a winner.






5 comments:

Sue said...

I won't do a checkpoint post for the prize, but I did do a wrap-up post of my own and will link here. I made my goal of 48-Mt. Ararat, but had to do some fast reading at the beginning of December. :)

http://www.careyfamily.org/2014-mount-tbr-wrap-up/

Major said...

Like Sue, I've not done a checkpoint post for a prize, but I now send my wrap-up post and linked above. I fell short of 24, but I'm glad I could clear my shelf of these 20 TBR's. See you in 2015 too...

Major said...

Grrr, not 20 TBR, but 37 -- I was thinking of another challenge....

Anja K. said...

I just barely dragged myself to the summit of Mt Kilimanjaro - so I added my wrap-up responses to the bottom of my overall challenge post, which shows all the books I read, etc. I cannot believe I made it, and that I cleared 60 books - thanks so much for hosting this challenge and providing some great motivation to make that happen! :)

Kim@Time2Read said...

I'm not going to link up, because I didn't finish the challenge...though I did do better than I though when I checked. I think I ended up reading about half a dozen books from my shelf, which was half of my target. But my downfall was not keeping track of what was on my shelf at the beginning of the year, and not coming back here to post reviews. Hope to do better this year!
My challenge wrap-up post is here...
http://mytime2read.blogspot.com/2014/12/2014-in-review-challenges.html