SCAM artist alert

Apparently there is someone calling themself "Luigi Calloway" out there who is claiming to be associated with the Mount TBR Reading Challenge. He is contacting authors and telling them if they pay him, then their books will be used for the challenge. It's possible he's also telling people they must pay to participate in any way. Please know that there is absolutely no charge associated in any way with this reading challenge and that this person does not represent me or anything associated with my blog. There will NEVER be a reason for anyone to have to pay for participation in any way for any of my challenges. If only people who exert this much time and effort on scamming people would put it into something worthwhile....like reading their own books!

Monday, August 15, 2011

Five Best Books: Rereads


The 5 Best Books meme is hosted by Cassandra at Indie Reader Houston.

This week we are asked to list our Five Best Books: Rereads. What books do you find yourself going back to over and over again? Even in a world where there are "so many books and too little time" I find myself returning to certain books when I need a comfort read. Or when I get in a reading lull and just can't latch on to any of the hundreds (literally) of books waiting for me in the TBR piles.

Here are some of those books:

1. Strong Poison by Dorothy L Sayers (or really any of her Lord Peter Wimsey books). These are such well-written, tried and true old friends that any of them can get me out of a reading funk like nobody's business.

2. The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (or, again, any of the Holmes stories). I like reading the Victorian prose. I like watching the master at work.

3. The End of the Alphabet by C. S. Richardson. An absolutely lovely book that I like to revisit. In fact, I'm just about due for another re-read.

4. The Norths Meet Murder by Frances & Richard Lockridge (or, again, any of the mysteries written as a team. Some that were written by Richard alone I can take or leave). There are times when light and breezy and just a bit "screwy" (as Sgt. Mullins would say) is exactly what the doctor ordered.

5. Persuasion--my favorite Jane Austen. Another that is probably do for another run-through.

On any given day 2-3 of these might be different. There are other books that see a frequent reread now and then. But you will always find Sayers and the Lockridges on this list.

6 comments:

Yvette said...

Good choices, Bev. I reread THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES too. And Jane Austen once in a while. This is all fluid depending on my mood.

Jeez, I haven't read STRONG POISON in ages. Time to change that.

How you feel about the Wimsey books is how I feel about the Nero Wolfe books.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

I love reading my rereadable reads. Great list, Bev!

♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥
Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?
YA Paranormal Romance, Darkspell coming fall of 2011!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

OOH - how fun! Off the top of my head -

Summer House by Jude Deveroux

Mr. Perfect by _____________

Dance Upon The Air by Nora Roberts

Anything Harry Potter

Cassandra said...

I'm going to admit something that I've never told anyone before: I've never read Persuasion or anything else by Jane Austen. And I don't think I ever will.

I did see that movie, though. Becoming Jane? with Anne Hathoway. That was good.

Great list! Thanks for joining us!

Suzanne said...

Confession -- I have not read Persuasion either. It has to be better than Emma though; I didn't like that one at all.

Bev Hankins said...

@Suzanne: Yes, Persuasion is WAY better than Emma. Hated Emma.