SCAM artist alert

Apparently there is someone calling himself "Luigi Calloway" out there who is claiming to be associated with the Mount TBR Reading Challenge. He is contacting authors and telling them if they pay him, then their books will be used for the challenge. It's possible he's also telling people they must pay to participate in any way. Please know that there is absolutely no charge associated in any way with this reading challenge and that this person does NOT represent me or anything associated with my blog. I DO NOT endorse anything that he claims.There will NEVER be a reason for anyone to have to pay for participation in any way for any of my challenges. If only people who exert this much time and effort on scamming people would put it into something worthwhile....like reading their own books! A message to Luigi: Please cease and desist contacting authors (or anyone) in my name or claiming to represent this reading challenge. You absolutely DO NOT.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

A-Z Blogging Challenge: Letter B



Today is Day 2 of the A-Z Blogging Challenge. Every day in April (except Sundays) I will be doing posts for each letter of the alphabet. It is my plan to make my posts reading &/or book-related. April 2nd is brought to you by the Letter B.

B is for bibliophile, bibliomania, biblioholic. Any of those. From the interwebs: A bibliophile is someone who loves books. Commonly known as a bookworm; a bibliophile may be, but is not necessarily a collector of books. (Oh yeah. That would be me.) Bibliomania describes the condition of someone who takes their love of books to the extreme--collecting books to the point where social relations or health are damaged, and the mere fact that the object is a book is sufficient for it to be collected and loved. (That's not me. Not quite. I don't think so, anyway....) And a biblioholic has the habitual longing to purchase, read, store, admire and collect books in excess. (I suppose I do have to confess to that.) Fortunately, this is a fairly benign form of madness.....it doesn't hurt anything--except my bank account.


I've been a bibliophile since second grade. Oh, I didn't know that's what it was called. But I loved books, I knew that. My mom gave me her set of 1950s Nancy Drew books and I was off and running. Then when I discovered Mason's Rare and Used Bookstore downtown, I was in heaven. Every Friday, I took my allowance and wandered the aisles...mainly the mysteries and science fiction...looking for buried treasure. I always came home with a stack. And now I cannot pass a used bookstore without going in. Somewhere, lurking on the shelves, might be that one book that been on my list forever. I've just got to go in and see.


[The picture is The Bookworm 1850 by Carl Spitzweg.]

7 comments:

fredamans said...

Hello, my name is Freda. I am a bibliophile! LOL

Great post!

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2011/04/b-is-for-beautiful.html

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Yea that's me too. What Freda said. I love books and I'm slowly gathering them around me. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Yvette said...

Guilty! Me too. Hello, my name is Yvette and I'm a bibliophile. HA!

A wonderful post, Bev. Great choice for B!

Geekgirly said...

I have to say that I am a bibliophile as well! I do however, because of lack of space, only keep books from my favourite authors on my shelves. I get the books I read from the library, although I hate returning the good ones!

ham1299 said...

Ha! Why didn't I think of that for my post? LOL I even have a separate blog for my book-related posts. LOL

Thanks for stopping by Ramblings & More! :-)

Rhonda Albom said...

My girls are also bibliophiles. Thanks for teaching me three new words today. Good luck with the comp and the Eagle Scouts.

Stratoz said...

Just paid a visit to one wonderful bookstore, the midtown scholar in Harrisburg, PA. May your day be filled with wonderful words.