Friday, July 9, 2010

Mrs. Malory...and A Reliable Wife

Finished up two books today while waiting for my son to make Eagle Scout-related phone calls. First up: Mrs. Malory Death Among Friends. I always enjoy the Mrs. Malory series when I'm looking for a quick, light, sortof academic-related read. Mrs. Malory is a retired teacher, so that's where the academics comes in. In this one over-bearing Freda Spencer finds herself the victim of two close calls and finally, the third time is the charm...at least for the murderer. The police think they have it wrapped up when one of the suspects commits suicide, but Mrs. Malory isn't quite satisfied with the solution. This is one of the better ones of this cozy little English village series. And I thoroughly enjoyed meeting some new characters in this story. Whizzed through it in a couple of hours and enjoyed every minute.

Second: A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick. This came recommended by one of my former high school teachers who became my friend. It's a bit trite, but all I can say is wow. And ouch. And oh my. Who would have thought that a book so drenched in despair could be so compelling, could reach out and grab you and not let you go till the last page? This is a heartbreaking book that revolves around three people whose lives have been lives of despair and pain and longing. Three lives loaded down with baggage on a quest for something they may never have. Each think they know what will make them happy, what will set them free from the past...and each find that the answer is not what they think. Goolrick takes the reader right up to the edge, the very last chapter of the book and makes you think that there is nothing left for these characters. But then, just like the melting snow and the first shoots of spring, he offers a glimmer of hope right at the end. This book got me involved, took hold of my emotions, and didn't let me go till I felt completely wrung out when the last word had been read. Three stars out of five.

No comments: