Thursday, July 15, 2010

Grave Choices

Wrapped up Grave Choices by M. D. Lake this evening. I really like the character of Peggy O'Neill (campus copper at a midwestern university). This one follows Peggy as she tries to clear an obvious suspect of a particularly nasty murder. When homicide latches onto a gift horse suspect early in a mystery story, you've got to know that they've got the wrong man. Unless, of course, the author is pulling a double-bluff. It's been known to happen.

Anyone who know me knows I can't resist an academic mystery and this series is particularly good. I like the characters and the plotting. I just wish I hadn't nailed the culprit so soon. Had him/her as soon as Lake brought him/her on stage. But that didn't ruin it for me....I still didn't know why until the end. The pacing is good and it made for a nice, quick read while I was waiting to pick up the books on hold at the library. Three and a half stars out of five. Hive of Suspects, here I come.

No comments: