SCAM artist alert

Apparently there is someone calling themself "Luigi Calloway" out there who is claiming to be associated with the Mount TBR Reading Challenge. He is contacting authors and telling them if they pay him, then their books will be used for the challenge. It's possible he's also telling people they must pay to participate in any way. Please know that there is absolutely no charge associated in any way with this reading challenge and that this person does not represent me or anything associated with my blog. There will NEVER be a reason for anyone to have to pay for participation in any way for any of my challenges. If only people who exert this much time and effort on scamming people would put it into something worthwhile....like reading their own books!

Monday, October 19, 2015

Fall Bookstore Pilgrimage

With the Corvair in front of Books on the Square

The hubby wanted to take a trip to Route 66 in "his" 1966 Corvair. I was agreeable--especially when I found out that my reward for being an agreeable wife was a trip to one of my favorite used bookstores: Books on the Square in Virden, IL. We took a long weekend for a lovely fall drive (about 500 miles round-trip) and Bev came back a very happy girl. I tend to have great success finding my beloved pocket-size editions in Virden and this trip was no different. I am now 39 books richer....


Here's the run-down of the haul:

The Gorgeous Ghoul Case  by Dwight V. Babcock (Avon #320--"specially revised & edited")
Charlie Chan Carries On by Earl Derr Biggers (Pocket Books #207; 3rd printing)
Death Against Venus by Dana Chambers (A Handi-Book Mystery; abridged)
The Camera Clue by George Harmon Coxe (Dell Mapback # 453)
Murder with Pictures by George Harmon Coxe (Dell Mapback #441)
No Time to Kill by George Harmon Coxe (Dell Mapback #182)
Another Woman's House by Mignon G. Eberhart (Bantam #849)
The Velvet Fleece by Lois Eby & John C. Fleming (Dell Mapback #272)
While the Wind Howled by Audrey Gaines (Dell Mapback #51)
The Case of the Silent Partner by Erle Stanley Gardner (Pocket Books #468; 2nd printing)
The Body Missed the Boat by Jack Iams (Dell Mapback #274)
Death Draws the Line by Jack Iams (Dell Mapback #457)
If I Die Before I Wake by William Irish (Cornell Woolrich) [Avon #104]
Phantom Lady by William Irish (Cornell Woolrich) [Pocket Books #253; 9th printing]
Puzzle in Petticoats by Samuel Melvin Kootz (Black Knight Mystery)
Death of a Doll by Hilda Lawrence (Pocket Books #540; 1st printing)
Death Takes a Bow by Frances & Richard Lockridge (Avon #131)
Murder Within Murder by F & R Lockridge (Dell Mapback #229)
House of Darkness by allan MacKinnon (Dell Mapback #237)
Colour Scheme by Ngaio Marsh (Pocket Books #351; 2nd printing)
Who's Calling by Helen McCloy (Dell Mapback #151)
Said With Flowers by Anne Nash (Bart House #19)
The Clue in the Clay by D. B. Olsen (Bart House #35)
The Day He Died by Lewis Padgett (Bantam #306)
Mayhem in B Flat by Elliot Paul (Bantam #850)
Halfway House by Ellery Queen (Pocket Books #259; 5th printing)
The Tragedy of X by Ellery Queen (as Barnaby Ross) [The Reader's League]
Murder at Arroways by Helen Reilly (Dell Mapback #576)
The Big Midget Murders by Craig Rice (Pocket Books #528; 2nd printing)
The Corpse Steps Out by Craig Rice (Pocket Books #476; 2nd printing)
The Thursday Turkey Murders by Craig Rice (Pocket Books #461; 2nd printing--poor copy, reading copy only)
The Fourth Postman by Craig Rice (Pocket Books #651; 2nd printing)
Yesterday's Murder by Craig Rice (Popular Library #253)
Too Busy to Die by H. W. Roden (Dell Mapback #185)
Alphabet Hicks by Rex Stout (Dell Mapback #146)
Cold Steal by Alice Tilton (Phoebe Atwood Taylor) [Dell Mapback #142)
The Greene Murder Case by S. S. Van Dine (Pocket Books #256; 2nd printing)
Dangerous Ground by Francis Sill Wickwood [Dell Mapback #248]

7 comments:

Peggy Ann said...

What a great week next!

Geoff said...

So many books and you look so HAPPY!!! :-D

Jacquie said...

Treasure hunting for books is the best fun ever! Congratulations on your latest haul. I am curious though if you buy these as collector copies or as reading copies. I have some very old ones, but the paper is beginning to crack and I'm afraid they're reaching a point of not being readable.

Gram said...

What a great haul...I didn't know you could find George Harmon Coxe anymore...and Helen McCloy and Helen Reilly and the lockridges...I'm drooling :-)

TracyK said...

Once again I am very envious. I never find any bookstores or book sales with the old vintage paperbacks you find. Some wonderful books there.

Dorothy N said...

Yikes! What a fabulous haul! Enjoy!

Bev Hankins said...

I"m sorry to make you all drool and envious...but when I find so many good ones I just have to tell everybody!

John, the owner of the shop, told me that he had just picked up a "trunk load" of these pocket-size editions at an estate sale in a nearby town and that he had thought of me when he brought them to the shop. Very fortunate timing for me.