Monday, August 26, 2013

R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VIII



RIP8main1
(Images by Artists Jennifer Gordan and Roman Sirotin, used with permission.)

Once again Carl over at Stainless Steel Droppings is sponsoring his  R.I.P. VIII ( R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril) "Challenge."  This is (as the Roman numeral indicates) his eighth year inviting us to curl up with a spooky read or two during September and October.  Here's an invitation (abridged) from the man himself:

Eight years ago I became aware of reading challenges and wanted to start one of my own, hoping to find others who shared my Autumnal predilection for the works of Edgar Allen Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, Bram Stoker and other authors contemporary and classic who captured the spirit of gothic literature. All these years later we are still going strong, welcoming September with a time of coming together to share our favorite mysteries, detective stories, horror stories, dark fantasies, and everything in between. 

I welcome you to join us. 

September 1st is right around the corner. It is time to begin.
Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.
 

Or anything sufficiently moody that shares a kinship with the above. That is what embodies the stories, written and visual, that we celebrate with the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril event.
As time has wound on I’ve honed this event down to two simple rules:
1. Have fun reading (and watching).
2. Share that fun with others.

As I do each and every year, there are multiple levels of participation (Perils) that allow you to be a part of R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril without adding the burden of another commitment to your already busy lives. There is even a one book only option for those who feel that this sort of reading is not their cup of tea (or who have many other commitments) but want to participate all the same.

R.I.P. VIII officially runs from September 1st through October 31st. But let's go ahead and break the rules. Let's start today!!!
Multiple perils await you. You can participate in just one, or participate in them all.

For the complete rules and to sign up, please visit the link above.  
Reviews for the R.I.P. Event may be posted HERE.

I've been saving up suitable books all year.  So, I am all set to do


rip8peril1st

Read four books, any length, that you feel fit (the very broad definitions) of R.I.P. literature. It could be King or Conan Doyle, Penny or Poe, Chandler or Collins, Lovecraft or Leroux…or anyone in between.  

Here's my plan (which, you will notice, calls for more than four):

1. This New & Poisonous Air by Adam McOmber (9/3/13)
2. The Haunted Doll's House by M. R. James (10/9/13)
3. Famous Ghost Stories by Bennett Cerf (ed) [9/13/13]
4. The Temple of Death by A. C. & R. H. Benson (9/16/13)
5. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (9/24/13)
6. The Croquet Player by H. G. Wells (9/4/13)

Bonus reads:
7. The Yard by Alex Grecian (9/9/13) 
8. The Dreadful Hollow by Nicholas Blake (9/19/13) 
9. Death Knocks Three Times by Anthony Gilbert (9/27/13)
10. Unthinkable by Richard Cibrano (10/12/13) 
11. Murder at Cambridge by Q. Patrick (10/15/13)
12. Cold Earth by Sarah Moss (10/18/13)
13. Dead of a Counterplot by Simon Nash (10/20/13) 
14. The Water Room by Christopher Fowler (10/25/13) 
15. Gently Go Man by Alan Hunter (10/27/13)



This is for those who like to watch suitably scary, eerie, mysterious gothic fare during this time of year. It may be something on the small screen or large. It might be a television show, like Dark Shadows or Midsomer Murders, or your favorite film.

And....I decided to perhaps do a little viewing--no set plan for this.  But I have watched my first Peril film:

1. The Case of the Whitechapel Vampire (8/31/13)
2. Night Gallery (pilot episode) [9/29/13]
3. The Haunting (1963 film) [10/7/13]


8 comments:

Yvette said...

I'm thinking about this, Bev. I've been reading some pretty good mysteries lately - all with a touch of something that qualifies them for this Blogathon.

Let me think on it for a couple of days.

I'll go check out the rules and see if it's not too confusing. :)

Col (Col Reads) said...

I remember The Haunting of Hill House scaring me to death! Good luck with the challenge!

samantha.1020 said...

I'm planning on reading The Haunting of Hill House too! I hope it isn't too scary. LOL! I can't wait to hear what you think of it. Enjoy :)

Kailana said...

Lots of good looking reads there. I hope you enjoy! I have read a few Wells but not The Croquet Player. I should see what I have by him. :)

Carl V. Anderson said...

MR James! Another author who I always vow to get to every year. I've at least read some James before, so I'm not a complete newbie, but it hasn't been for a long time.

Love both of Jackson's very popular novels. Such a great creep factor to them.

thanks for joining in again!!!

Anonymous said...

I've never even heard of that H. G. Wells one...I'll be curious to read your review!

Ryan said...

I can't wait for your review of The Haunting of Hill House. It's one of my all time favorite books.

Bev Hankins said...

Ryan...we'll see how it goes. People keep telling me that it "scared the crap out of them." I'm a weenie.