Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sunday Morning Rant: I Am Not An Ad Agency




Silly me...I thought all the book reviews and book-themed posts and book-related prose on My Reader's Block (oooh, look, it says "Reader's" right there in the title) just might be clue to anyone checking out my blog that what I do here is BOOKS.  I have, just recently, received more and more requests from people wanting me to promote, review, or otherwise advertise their non-book-related products on my site.  I've got people wanting me to pay them to post THEIR writing on my blog.  Excuse me?  If you want me to advertise your stuff (product, writing, whatever), shouldn't you pay ME for advertising space?  Isn't that the way advertising works?  Not that I will advertise your stuff if you DO offer me money...but still.

Y'all might notice that I've changed my header just a bit and I've edited my review policy--just in case these folks who say "I've read and enjoyed your blog..." actually DO read what I put here--to try and make it clear that what I do here is books.  Period.  I don't do Hollywood Memorabilia. I don't do iPhone cases (I don't own an iPhone--but that's beside the point). And my blog is not up for grabs to advertise anything other than books.  The books I read and the books offered me for review according to the review policy.

Thank you for letting me blow off a little steam. 

Now...back to your regularly scheduled Book Blog.

11 comments:

TracyK said...

I totally agree with you and I think it is great that you are making your position on this very clear. But the fact that you get so many requests must point to the fact that your blog is very popular, which is a compliment, I think.

Bev Hankins said...

Well...yes, I suppose it is a compliment. I'm glad that folks are paying attention to me...but it would be nice if some of them would pay attention to what I actually do here.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Hey, I'm with you. No ads on my blog either. Can I borrow your No Ads button?

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

People are writing to you to ask you to pay them to post their writing? That is so confusing! Love your strong stance on this and I'm so grateful I haven't gotten any requests like that!

J F Norris said...

I am right with you on this one, Bev. These emails have nothing to do with popularity and everything to do with opportunism. I got three emails from that Hollywood Memorabilia website, too. And I mine is not a popular blog at all. Obviously, the emails are sent out indiscriminately in bulk. I have a feeling it's all related to my placement on the Book Blogger Directory which is being used with increasing frequency as a source for mass emailing by people who have nothing to do with books or book reviews.

Bev Hankins said...

Ann it is all yours (as much as it's mine to give)...I found it out on the internet.

Bev Hankins said...

Thanks for your support, friends!

Red said...

I've been getting requests to promote things like glasses and tween fashion and what no? None of this

Puzzle Doctor said...

Another Hollywood Memorabilia request for me to. Have politely told them to go away.

I don't get deluged by requests - a couple of book reviews per month. Usually the right sort of stuff but maybe I should make my policy a bit clearer

Bev Hankins said...

Steve: I wasn't deluged until just this summer. I'm not sure what's up with that....

Anonymous said...

Hallo, I'm one of the Bout of Bookers, who came to drop by your blog,...

However, when I saw this I knew I had to tell you what I did! I didn't check to see if you already had it on your blog, so if this is redundant know I had the right intention! If you click over to my blog, go all the way down to the footer. Click the "Ad-Free Blog" button! When I saw that on blogs, I *knew!* it was going to be on mine! It says EVERYTHING with a little badge! :)

Glad you stood your ground!

*Read the comments about the Book Blogger Directory,... I was considering joining but now I think I'll stay with what I already have, which is Bloglovin' & Blog Nation!