SCAM artist alert

Apparently there is someone calling themself "Luigi Calloway" out there who is claiming to be associated with the Mount TBR Reading Challenge. He is contacting authors and telling them if they pay him, then their books will be used for the challenge. It's possible he's also telling people they must pay to participate in any way. Please know that there is absolutely no charge associated in any way with this reading challenge and that this person does NOT represent me or anything associated with my blog. I DO NOT endorse anything that he claims.There will NEVER be a reason for anyone to have to pay for participation in any way for any of my challenges. If only people who exert this much time and effort on scamming people would put it into something worthwhile....like reading their own books!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Cop Out: Candle #10

Oh. Ick. I mentioned in the previous posting that this did not sound like my kind of book. I like Ellery Queen. The writing is a little more hard-boiled than I like...but the stories with Ellery & Inspector Queen are more medium-hard than hard. Cop Out definitely breaks this pattern. While the Ellery Queen novels I've read in the past have been more 30s-50s in nature, this book is definitely a product of the 60s and has a mean-streets feel to it. It's not that the writing is not well done; it's just that it's not the style to which I've been accustomed and I think Queen did best sticking to what they did so well.

You have your hard-nosed, small-time gangster types. Trying to be tough and throwing their weight around with the cop that they've "put the screws" on. And then they grab the cop's kid. I hate books that put children in danger or where children are killed. I just can't take it--I'm too sensitive on that issue.

The plot works and the action is well-done. I just don't appreciate the harsher side of detective novels. Give me a good ol' British cozy. May have to take a break and read an Agatha Christie just to settle my mind. One star out of five.


1 comment:

J.G. said...

I'm with you. Too much grittiness is not a good thing.