Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Mystery! A Celebration: Mini-Review

I have often enjoyed programs offered up by Mystery! over the years--everything from Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes to David Suchet's Poirot; from Joan Hickson's Miss Marple to Francesca Annis's Tuppence Beresford. So, when I saw a near-perfect edition of Mystery! A Celebration: Stalking Public Television's Greatest Sleuths* sitting on the shelf at our Friends of the Library Bookstore last October, I had to make it my very own. It would be worth it for the illustrations by Edward Gorey if nothing else, but Ron Miller does a fine job highlighting the various programs and mixing it up with interviews with authors and actors who have given us some of the world's finest detectives and mysteries.  It was great fun to look at pictures from behind the scenes and learn about the factual crimes behind several of the featured programs. I felt nostalgic as I was reminded of programs that I hadn't seen for quite a long time. My only quibble--keeping the book at a ★★ rating rather than five--is that there are several prime actors who are still living (Patrick Malahide as Inspector Alleyn, for example) who seem to receive rather short shrift. It's not clear if those not interviewed were passed over or if they just weren't available. Okay, so Miller probably couldn't interview absolutely everyone...but it would have been nice. 

Overall, a great read and it was especially nice to finish it while snuggled up in a blanket--home sick with whatever nastiness is going round. Reading for healing....that's my motto. 

*Clue #2 in my second round of Famous Person in the Super Book Password Challenge.


2 comments:

Ryan said...

I think you are right the Gorey illustrations would more than make this book worth a read.

fredamans said...

Sounds like a sweet read for a mystery. I do love illustrated books! Great review! I hope you feel better soon!