Thursday, August 22, 2013

Bout of Books: Progress Update #3


The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 19th and runs through Sunday, August 25th in whatever time zone you are in. Each day there are challenges for those who signed up by yesterday and we are called on to do an update.

Here's my progress update for Wednesday, August 21:


Books finished:

 Andersen's Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Andersen  (343 pages)

I'm not making quite the progress that I had hoped.  I blame it on the craziness at work...


Currently Reading:

The Door by Mary Roberts Rinehart (138 pages so far)


Quote: If I looked strange to Joseph when he admitted me, he said nothing. Once Judy had said that Joseph had no capacity for astonishment, and the thought supported me that night as, certainly nervous and probably bulging, I entered my own house.


Challenges:


Book Road Trip @ In Wonderland
Stephanie is asking us to come up with a list of the top 5-10 states/places you'd love to visit and find a book (you either read or want to read) that takes place in that state/place or a book by an author who lives or is from there.
My Bookish Road Trip:
1. The Penguin Book of Victorian Women in Crime by Michael Sims, ed [England] ( read 11/5/12)
2. Death at Crane's Court by Eilis Dillon [Ireland] (read 5/23/13) 
3. The Sparrow (Wings of the West #3) by Kristy McCaffrey [Grand Canyon, Arizona]
4. Once on This Island by Gloria Whelan [Makinac Island, Michigan]
5. Sixth Column by Robert A. Heinlein [Rocky Mountains, Colorado] (read pre-blog)
6. Murder & Blueberry Pie by Frances & Richard Lockridge [New York City, NY]


I Spy... @ Paperback Dreamer

I Spy…

 ...Snowflakes


A lovely, leather-bound copy of The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge

 ...Flames

The Fire Engine that Disappeared by Maj Sjöwall & Per Wahlöö

 

...A City Skyline

A very stylized view of NY City's skyscrapers on Catch as Catch Can by the Lockridges

 

 ...The Moon

The First Men in the Moon by H.G. Wells

 ...A Sword

 
The Eight of Swords by John Dickson Carr

...A Wedding Dress

 
White Orchids by Grace Livingston Hill
 

...High Heels

 
Nancy's rocking her high heels in The Secret of the Old Clock

...Fog

London Particular (aka Fog of Doubt) by Christianna Brand

 ...A Christmas Tree

Mistletoe Mysteries by Charlotte MacLeod

 ...Sunglasses

 
The Laughing Policeman by Maj Sjöwall & Per Wahlöö

...Lightning

 
A Dark Time by Dennis Bradford

...A Tattoo

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

 ...Combat Boots

Into the Valley by John Hersey (my copy shows both boots)

 ...Handcuffs

 
The Secret Life of Houdini by Kalush & Sloman (now those are some handcuffs!)

...A Road

 
Last Bus to Woodstock by Colin Dexter [and the road it took :-) ]

6 comments:

Landslide said...

I love the covers of those vintage mysteries. Especially "Mistletoe Mysteries" but I'm a sucker for Christmas mysteries...

Anonymous said...

Great covers. Going 'vintage' was a super idea. ;)

Anonymous said...

Great covers. Going 'vintage' was a super idea. ;)

SuziQoregon said...

What a great selection of book covers for the I Spy challenge!!

This was a fun and surprisingly hard challenge wasn't it?

This is my first Bout of Books and I've found so many great bloggers. I'm so glad I participated and found you! Enjoy the rest of the week.

srivalli said...

Love the vintage covers!

Victoria Hooper said...

Ooh congrats on the I Spy challenge! Some great covers there :-) And well done with your read-a-thon progress too!