Saturday, February 1, 2020

The Nine Tailors

The Nine Tailors (1934) by Dorothy L Sayers
[read by Ian Carmichael]

This was a comfort read (listen) for me. I was sick last week and spent a couple of days on the couch (when not sleeping) with Lord Peter Wimsey. The Sayers books are always comfortable reads for me. I love them so and I have read/listened to them so often that it's like settling down with a good friend for a nice quiet chat. It was especially nice to have that chat with Ian Carmichael reading in my ears. Carmichael does Wimsey so well and gives such life to Sayers's other characters that it is always a delight to listen to the audio versions. I don't have much new to say--so if you'd like to see more of my insights into The Nine Tailors, please click either of the two links above for previous reviews--the title will take you to a previous listen of the audio version and Sayers's name will take you to a review of the printed copy. ★★★★ for the audio version.

I also spent a bit of time watching Ian Carmichael as Lord Peter in the 1970s BBC version. It's unfortunate that they altered the storyline--but I acknowledge the reasons for doing so. I just wish it didn't give so much of the plot away too soon. It was nice to see scenes of Major Wimsey and Sergeant Bunter in the war and the reunion of the two prior to Bunter's entering his lordship's service--even if that did go off-canon as well.

************
Vintage Mystery Gold Rule #14: More than one detective (Wimsey & Superintendent Blundell)
Calendar of Crime: New Year's Eve
Deaths = Two (one "other" [to reveal how would be a spoiler]; one drowned)
Mystery Bingo:
  Clues & Cliches (card #2): Seen by Moonlight
  Red Herrings (card #2): Someone tied up; Someone faints; Mysterious stranger

First line: "That's torn it!" said Lord Peter Wimsey.
Last line: "I'll wish you good-morning, gentlemen," he said, and went out.



No comments: