Friday, October 18, 2019

Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2020




January 2020 kicks off the ninth year for the Mount TBR Reading Challenge and, despite climbing like mad and conquering Mount Everest on the regular each year, I still have mountain ranges to climb. And miles of bookcases to read before I sleep (or something like that). I just can't resist a good old fashioned used bookstore (though they are become rarer and rarer) or the community Hoosier Hills Food Bank Book Sale which adds to the mountains as fast as I knock books off.

So, once again, I plan to concentrate on reading primarily from my own books in the coming year. Perhaps this year I will actually plant a flag on Mount Olympus...but my declared goal will remain Mount Everest. Please join me in knocking out some of those books that have been waiting for attention for weeks...months...even years.

Challenge Levels:

Pike's Peak: Read 12 books from your TBR pile/s
Mount Blanc: Read 24 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Vancounver: Read 36 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Ararat: Read 48 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Kilimanjaro: Read 60 books from your TBR pile/s
El Toro*: Read 75 books from your TBR pile/s (*aka Cerro El Toro in South America)
Mt. Everest: Read 100 books from your TBR pile/s
Mount Olympus (Mars): Read 150+ books from your TBR pile/s

The Rules (a few minor adjustments from previous years indicated in green):
*Once you choose your challenge level, you are locked in for at least that many books. You are welcome to voyage further and conquer taller mountains after your commitment is met. All books from lower mountains carry over towards the next peak.

*Challenge runs from January 1 to December 31, 2020

*You may sign up at any time--no matter when you see this challenge. All qualifying books read after January 1st count.

*Books must be owned by you prior to January 1, 2020--items requested or ordered prior to January 1, may count even if they arrive in the new year. No library books~. If you're looking for a library book challenge or one that counts books on your non-owned TBR list, then please see Mount TBR's sister challenge: the Virtual Mount TBR Challenge (click the link).
   ~The ONLY exception to the library rule: If you own the book in any form and have a reason to check out a version from the library instead, then you may count it. For example--if you own a hard copy, but are planning on taking a trip where listening to the audio version would be a great way to knock out a book while you drive, then by all means check out the audio version and have a wonderful trip! Please check with me if you have questions.

*Rules for Rereads: Any reread may count, regardless of how long you've owned it, provided you have not counted it for a previous Mount TBR Challenge.

*Audiobooks and E-books may count provided they are yours prior to January 1.

*You may count any "currently reading" book that you begin prior to January 1--provided you had 50% or more of the book left to finish when January 1 rolled around. I will trust you all on that. The only exception is if you have participated in Mount TBR in 2019 and were unable to finish the book in time for the final Check-in Post. Then--if you finish the book post-January 1, you may count it as your first step of the new challenge.

*You may count "Did Not Finish" books provided they meet your own standard for such things, you do not plan to ever finish it, and you move it off your mountain [give it away, sell it, remove from e-resources, etc.]. For example, my personal rule (unless it's a very short book) is to give it 100 pages. If I decide I just can't finish it and won't ever, then off the mountain it goes and I count it as a victory--the stack is smaller!

*Books may be used to count for other challenges as well.

*Feel free to submit your list in advance or to tally them as you climb.

*There will be a year-end check-in and prize drawing! 

*A blog and reviews are not necessary to participate. If you have a blog, then please post about the challenge and link that post (not your home page) in the form below. My link provider has limited the number of link "parties" I can have open at a time--so I will be using Google forms for all my sign-up links this year. Non-bloggers may enter their names only without a blog link OR members of Goodreads are welcome to join the Goodreads group HERE

*If you post on Facebook, Instagram, or other social media to log a book, please use #MountTBR2020.

* As I have in the past, I will have a headquarters link in the left hand side-bar which will offer links to this original post, monthly review links, and the final wrap-up. The Headquarters also has a link to a list of our climbing crew with their commitments. 

Happy climbing!






33 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I'm definitely in again for next year. I'll post about it and link up near the end of the year or beginning of next.

Michelle aka Naila Moon said...

I am in for this one too. Will sign up shortly.

Laura said...

And I signed up, too. I've just finished the 2019 challenge and it was so fun! (if only I could remember the link up!!! I totally forgot about it... but I will remember next year.)

Bev Hankins said...

Glad you're all in for next year!

Unknown said...

Had I known this challenge existed, I probably wouldn't have the foothills growing in my room the way I do. This will save me so much sorrow lol, if only for a time machine!

Annette J said...

I need this challenge, looking forward to participating for the first time

Ninu Nair said...

Hi..I have signed up! this challenge seems really interesting!

Bev Hankins said...

Unknown, Annette, and Ninu Nair: Welcome to the challenge!!

Deborah Weber said...

I'm delighted to have found my way here, and look forward to playing in the 2020 challenge. Let the mountains be conquered!

scraptraci said...

I am excited to join this challenge. I have selected Mt Blanc for my goal. I will be tracking progress on a Goodreads shelf as well as on my new blog I have started titlesurfingwithtraci.blogspot.com. Looking forward to seeing all the good books to add to my shrinking TBR list

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I just signed up, and I have a question. I posted the mountains we were scaling, and added elevation in feet for all but one. I couldn't find a Mt. Toro that wasn't LOWER than it should be for your placement in the list. The one in California looks like a hill compared to Kilimanjaro and Everest. The one in Mexico also seems too small. Did I miss something when I googled their heights?

Bev Hankins said...

Bonnie: When I first put this together back in 2011, I found a listing for El Toro in South America at 20,236 ft. Now it looks like the listing has been updated to "Cerro El Toro." It's on the border between Chile and Argentina.

Jovita @ Inky Impressions said...

Thank you Bev for hosting once again. I'm very much looking forward making my way through my tbr piles.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Thanks, Bev. I'll change that one to "Cerro El Toro" on my list, with the height you've given me. That height works in the list of mountains.

Unknown said...

I was not sure that I had signed up already. So, I just signed up (again?) to be sure.

Bev Hankins said...

Unknown: If your name is Lisa with a gmail account, then I do have you registered as a challenger (twice).

Nick Senger said...

I'm back in for this challenge after skipping last year due to work demands. It's great to think about making my way through that big TBR pile that keeps building up. Thanks for hosting!

Bev Hankins said...

Welcome back, Nick!

Andrea @ The Overstuffed Bookcase said...

Love this challenge! I haven't done it in a couple years, but I'm excited to attempt it again in 2020! Thanks for hosting!

Unknown said...

Going to try this challenge for the first time. I have a hefty pile of books in my tbr so I'm going to attempt Mt Ararat

catslovelycats said...

Not sure if my comment has been seen. Just in case it hasn't, I'd like to sign up for the Mount Blanc level. Thanks Penny

Dany M said...

All my reading this year will be TBR stuff since I plan on buying no more books. I will read either stuff from my physical bookshelf or from my digital collection.

reese said...

Thanks for hosting again! I finally got around to making the signup post. I'm aiming at a lower mountain this year...

Rachel (From Ink To Paper) said...

Excited to participate! I am aiming for Pike's Peak.
http://frominktopaper.com/2020/01/04/2019-book-reading-challenges/

The Haunted Reading Room said...

My intent for 2020 is to knock out NetGalley and Edelweiss (and probably a few others) ARCs on or earlier than Dec. 31 2019. I set my level at Mount Ararat but hope to surpass!

Barbara H. said...

I finally sign up! And I upped to the next level instead of playing it safe.

Lark @ The Bookwyrm's Hoard said...

I signed up! This pairs nicely with a challenge I host -- most of what I am likely to read for Mount TBR will also work for The Backlist Reader Challenge. (The main differences are that you don't have to own the books for The Backlist Reader Challenge, and they have to be published before 2019.)

Bev Hankins said...

Thanks to all for joining me!

Lark, glad this will work well with your challenge.

A. Rivera said...

After taking a break from reading challenges, I am back in 2020 and ready to climb the mountain again. I did sign up on the form. Thanks for hosting, and look forward to the year and what others read as well.

Happy reading.

Bev Hankins said...

Welcome back, A. Rivera!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

January has ended, and I'm pleased as punch to see that I reached Pike's Peak, the first mountain on my way to the top of Mt. Ararat. The twelve books I completed to claim Pike's Peak are listed here: http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2019/12/mount-tbr-reading-challenge.html

And I finished another four books that were borrowed from the library or from a friend, listed among the 16 read in full during January, as shown in my annual list: http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/p/2020.html

Yay! I'm off to a great start! Now if I can just keep it up.

neer said...

Hi Bev

Hope things are fine. I am participating in this challenge and had a question regarding ebooks. I had downloaded quite a few books prior to 1st January from free sites like Gutenberg, Faded Page etc. Do I consider them for this challenge or the Virtual one? As they were downloaded in the previous years, I am guessing (and hoping) they would count for this challenge but want to be sure.

Bev Hankins said...

Hi, Neer! As long as the e-books are something you can download and keep (if you wanted to), then you may count them here.