Monday, October 1, 2018

Mountaineering Check Point #3


Oh my goodness!  Where does the time go?  Last I checked, September was just starting....and now it's gone and it's time to get the third quarterly checkpoint up and running. Let's see how our challengers are doing after they've got 9 months under the ol' mountain-climbing belt.  

For those who would like to participate in this checkpoint post, I'd like you to do two things:
 

1. Tell us how many miles you've made it up your mountain (# of books read).  If you're really ambitious, you can do some intricate math and figure out how the number of books you've read correlates to actual miles up Pike's Peak, Mt. Ararat, etc. 
I've read 91 out 100 books towards Mt. Everest which means I've managed about 26,416 feet. The air's getting a bit thin and I'm low on steam. I may launch a rocket ship to Mt. Olympus on Mars yet, but I don't see a flag getting planted on that peak. Oh, well...there's always next year.

2. Complete ONE (or more if you like) of the following:
A. Who has been your favorite character so far? And tell us why, if you like.
B. Pair up two of your reads. But this time we're going for opposites. One book with a male protagonist and one with a female protagonist. One book with "Good" in the title and one with "Evil." Get creative and show off a couple of your books.
Mine: Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain AND Death at the Dog by Joanna Cannan
C. Which book (read so far) has been on your TBR mountain the longest? Was it worth the wait? Or is it possible you should have tackled it back when you first put it on the pile? Or tossed it off the edge without reading it all?
Mine: The Invisible Thief by Thomas Brace Haughey [on TBR since 1983]
D. Using titles from your list, see if you can tell a short story (or story blurb) or make a mini-poem. Feel free to add a few filler words here and there if needed. Here's my example:

A Man Lay Dead (in) Another Woman's House. Pride & Prejudice (led to) Murder at Midnight By the Light of the Study Lamp. (Several) Women Sleuths (use the) Odor of Violets (and) The Sign of the Book (to solve this) Untidy Murder.


Please prepare your answers in a Checkpoint blog post and link up below.


And what do you get for all that hard work (and distraction from the actual climb)? The link will close at 11:59 pm on Friday, October 12.  Sometime the next day I will crank up the Custom Random Number Generator and pick a winning climber. He or she will have the chance to add to their TBR stack via my gently-used book vault (prize list will be sent). Just think, if you win a book you can start up a pile for next year's Mount TBR Challenge. 

Even if you're not in the mood for a prize or you've already finished your climb, I'd love to have you check in with us and tell us all your news!

***Please note--the linky is for Checkpoint posts only.  The link must be to a specific Checkpoint post (not your blog's home page in general). Links that are not Checkpoint-specific will be removed--to make it easier for me to track a winner.  Enter here OR on my Goodreads Challenge site (but not both places, please).


Sign in below with your Checkpoint post.




4 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I've read 29 so far, so I climbed Mount Blanc. I'll probably make it to Mt. Vancouver before the end of the year.

I'm not doing a blog post or entering for a prize this time, but one of my opposite pairings would be 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne and The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin. My favorite character would be a tie between Emma, an elderly woman, and Julia, a young wife and mom whose husband has lost everything in the Depression in Julia's Hope by Leisha Kelly. They end up helping each other out and becoming like family to each other. I identify more with Julia but I'd love to be more like Emma.

Lisbeth said...

Great achievement Bev! Almost 100 books and there are still three months of the year. I have prepared my post and it will go up on Tuesday. As usual great questions and challenges to go through what you have read.

Jean said...

Wow, Bev, you are impressive! I've hit 27 and am feeling very pleased. My goal was 24.

Bev Hankins said...

Just realized that life got in the way this week (work plus trying to catch up on things once I got a laptop back in my life again)...will post a winner tomorrow!