Sunday, October 28, 2018

Monthly Key Word Challenge 2019



This is my second year hosting the Monthly Key Word Challenge. I took it up when the blog which formerly hosted it disappeared and I couldn't get a response from her through email. It had always been one of my favorites, so I'm glad to keep it going.

Your task is to read at least one book for each month whose title includes one or more of the key words for that month. For instance, for January you might read Why Didn't They Ask Evans? by Agatha Christie. A full chart of all key words for the year may be found at the end of this post.

GUIDELINES
*The challenge runs from January 1 to December 31st, 2019. You may sign-up at any time until November 1, 2019. But to complete the challenge you will need to read (or have already read) books with keywords from any months missed by the time of sign-up. 

*The object is to read one book each month--ideally during that month. However, I know that life can get in the way and some folks may not see this challenge until a couple (or several) months have gone by. So, if you get behind or if you sign up later in 2019, you are welcome to post any catch-up reads while the most current month's linky is open. Just be sure to identify your post appropriately. For instance, if posting January's key word (at any time): Bev (Why Didn't They Ask Evans?) January.

*However, our time machine only works one way--to the past. Please do not read ahead and post books for future key words until that month's linky is up or later.

*Key words may be tweaked. If the key word is dance, you may use dancing or danced. You may also be more creative and use "tango" or "ballet" or "waltz."

*Link up below to participate. I will also post a new headquarters site by the beginning of January where this original post and the monthly review links will be housed.

*No blog? No problem! If you have a Goodreads/Library Thing shelf or other link to post, you should be able to link that as well. You may also just add a comment telling me you'll be participating. When the monthly review post goes up, you may then comment with your book and keyword. 

*If you post to Facebook, Instagram or other social media to log a book (or about the challenge), please use #MonthlyKeyword2019.







click to enlarge


9 comments:

Jamie Ghione said...

Thanks for hosting!

Blu-horse@hotmail.com said...

Count me in! Thanks Bev!

Gerlina said...

I'm signing up for this year - I actually chose some books in 2018 based on your key words, but didn't participate in the challenge. Thanks for making it flexible, especially about catching up if things go a bit pear-shaped.

Bev Hankins said...

Glad you all will be joining me in 2019!

Unknown said...

I added my link; however, I don't blog about books. Can I post a comment for each month with a link to my Goodreads review for that book?

Bev Hankins said...

Kerrie: that's fine OR the link-up may let you enter the direct URL to your Goodreads review. I'm not sure on that because my linky-provider recently "upgraded" and I'm just now trying to learn the new way of setting links up.

Captain Nick Sparrow said...

This will be my first year officially playing along, since we can link to LibraryThing. Thank you for hosting again!

catslovelycats said...

I'd love to join for 2020. Don't do social media so hope that's OK.
Penny

Bev Hankins said...

Penny: I'm not sponsoring for 2020--Kim from Bookmark to Blog was the original host for this challenge. When she started blogging with Tanya at Girlxoxo, she handed the reins over to Claudia at My Soul Called Life with the understanding that Claudia would hand it back if she decided not to do it anymore. Claudia's blog abruptly disappeared and when I couldn't get in touch with her, I (not knowing about the arrangement with Kim) decided to host a variation myself. Kim has been in touch and I am handing the challenge back to her. Here's the link for her 2020 version.