Thursday, February 7, 2013

Booking Through Thursday: Influence

This week, BTT asks: "Do other people influence what you choose to read? When a family member recommends something, or a friend says they hated a book you were planning to read...does it affect your reading choices?"

Image Credit


Honestly....mostly not.  There are a few friends in the real world who I talk books with and occasionally I take their suggestions to read a book.  I've rarely not read a book that was already on the TBR stack simply because somebody else hated it.  The people with the most influence on my reading habits are out here in the blogging world.  I've read more books in the last few years that fellow bloggers have mentioned in their reviews than I have books recommended by people I know live and in person.  Probably because I mostly follow blogs with similar tastes to mine and so I'm often seeing books (mostly mysteries) that John at Sinister Books or the Puzzle Doctor at In Search of the Classic Mystery Novel or Yvette at In So Many Words have read and loved and so I immediately add them to the already much-too-long TBR list.  

But overall--I have a TBR list of my own that's miles long and I pretty much stick with what I want to read, when I want to read it.

***Addendum: Shame on me for forgetting Ryan at Wordsmithonia...without Ryan I wouldn't have discovered a love for Mary Roberts Rinehart.  And I wouldn't have about 15 of her books sitting on my TBR mountain range.....
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem: a large TBR list. Any books that are recommended to me (after MUCH consideration) usually gets slapped on to the bottom of the list. I like to get to the books I've most anticipated reading first before I attempt books that have been recommended.

Here's my BTT!

Ryan said...

I have way too many books on my TBR pile too. And you are one of my influencers.

Ryan said...

Now I'm just going to blush :-)