Friday, February 1, 2013

January Wrap-Up & the P.O.M. Award

Once again I will be combining my monthly wrap-up post with Kerrie's Crime Fiction Pick of the Month over at Mysteries in Paradise.

Image Credit

My January totals are decent.  Goodreads has me down two books if I'm going to meet my 2013 reading goal.  Best kick it up a notch.  Here we go with the stats...

Total Books Read: 13 (up from last year's start!)
Total Pages: 3064 (more books, but not quite as thick...)

Average Rating: 2.96 stars
Top Rating: 4.5 stars (two books)
Percentage by Female Authors: 57%

Percentage by US Authors: 43%

Percentage by non-US/non-British Authors: 2%
Percentage Mystery: 71%
Percentage Fiction: 100%
Percentage written 2000+: 29%
Percentage of Rereads: 0%
Percentage Read for Challenges: 100% {It's eas
y to have every book count for a challenge when you sign up for as many as I do.}  
Number of Challenges fulfilled so far: 0 (0%)




AND, as mentioned above,
Kerrie has started us up for another of Crime Fiction Favorites. What she's looking for is our Top Mystery Read for each month. In January, I read ten books that may count as mysteries.

1. A Dark & Stormy Night by Jeanne M. Dams 
2. The Man Who Went up in Smoke by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö  
3. The Evil That Men Do by Jeanne M. Dams
4. The Corpse at St. James's by Jeanne M. Dams 
5. The Puzzle of the Silver Persian by Stuart Palmer
6. Four Lost Ladies by Stuart Palmer
7. The Case of the Negligent Nymph by Erle Stanley Gardner 
8. Murder at Markham by Patricia Sprinkle 
9. Veiled Murder by Alice Campbell 
10. India Black & the Shadows of Anarchy by Carol K. Carr  


As you can see above, I handed out two 4.5 star ratings this month--but only one of those was to a mystery.  So, that means that the first P.O.M. Award for 2013 goes to.......(drum roll, please)


....the latest adventure for Carol K. Carr's Madam of Espionage in India Black & the Shadows of Anarchy.  I love Carol's feisty lead character and India does not disappoint us as she takes on the bomb-happy anarchists of Victorian England.


5 comments:

TracyK said...

A nice and varied list. I really want to read some books by Sjowall and Wahloo this year, and some Erle Stanley Gardner also.

fredamans said...

Nice, I'm reading India Black and the Shadows of Anarchy now.
Happy February reading!

J F Norris said...

I managed a baker's dozen, too. One single new book and the other twelve were all written prior to 1964. I'm officially addicted, aren't I? February will have me catching up on new books and posting reviews of vintage books I read in January but never had time to write about. I think my favorite this month was a fantastical graphic novel, SAILOR TWAIN. It was so different from what I usually read and turned out to be surprisingly moving.

Bev Hankins said...

Hallo, John! I've read way more recent books this month than usual....it's all those darn other challenges that I can't resist. Some of them demand recent books. Ah, well...I have plenty of vintage books on the 2013 TBR stack as well.

Yvonne said...

I think you had a great month!