Thursday, December 6, 2012

Booking Through Thursday: Record-Keeping

btt button

I haven't done Booking Through Thursday for a while.  This week we want to know:

Do you keep a list of the books you’ve read? How? In a journal? Through one of the online services? If so, WHY? To keep good records for future reference? To make sure you don’t accidentally reread? If not, why not? Too eager to move on to the next book? Too lazy? Never thought to bother?

I've been keeping track of my books since about junior high (we won't discuss how many years ago that was).  It wasn't very thorough (there are always books that I'm coming across that I just know I've read, but I can't remember exactly when.)  It started out as a list in a notebook.  Then I moved on to a list in Word.  Now I keep it in an Excel spreadsheet.  But that's not all...no.  There's also my blog--where everything gets logged and reviewed and just for good measure I keep track on GoodReads as well.  

Why?  Well because I like to know what I've read and when.  I started the blog so I'd have a record of what I thought about the books at the time.  And it helps me remember better so I'm less likely to reread...unless I do it on purpose.

3 comments:

Gigi Ann said...

I agree with you, I like to try to keep track so I don't buy ones I've already read. I also use the services of Goodreads.

annieb said...

I'm a Library Thing person, myself. But, I keep a calendar book where I list book, author, place, library book or purchased, but not much else. I also write a monthly list and short review on my computer, which I print out and keep in a notebook. I still forget what a book is about sometimes, but this year I have read about 210 books, so I guess I can forgive myself.

Susanne said...

I started keeping track of my reading about the same time I started blogging, mostly about my hobby of scrapbooking. I guess recording memories and recording books are not so very different. I started writing short reviews in a journal, but then switched to Goodreads and have never looked back.