SCAM artist alert

Apparently there is someone calling themself "Luigi Calloway" out there who is claiming to be associated with the Mount TBR Reading Challenge. He is contacting authors and telling them if they pay him, then their books will be used for the challenge. It's possible he's also telling people they must pay to participate in any way. Please know that there is absolutely no charge associated in any way with this reading challenge and that this person does not represent me or anything associated with my blog. There will NEVER be a reason for anyone to have to pay for participation in any way for any of my challenges. If only people who exert this much time and effort on scamming people would put it into something worthwhile....like reading their own books!

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Pop Sugar 2015 Reading Challenge



Found another one: Pop Sugar has what they think is the ultimate reading challenge. From a book your mom loves to a book with a love triangle, they're giving you a wide range of reads, spanning eras and genres, instead of specific books. You don't have to read all 50 books (technically 52, since one is a trilogy), but it's a fun incentive to diversify your reading — you may be surprised by what you find you enjoy! Click link above to see the full post.

I'm counting all books read in 2015 that fulfill a category beginning with January and my declared goal is 30 ( a little over half). Any over 30 will be bonus. No links to reviews here--my full reading list (with links) can be found at the You Read How Many Books OR 100+ Reading Challenges. I will date when the book is read.

Book with more than 500 pages: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (9/19/15)
A Classic Romance:
Book that became a movie: The Great Dinosaur Robbery by David Forrest (5/15/15)
Published this year: The Golden Age of Murder by Martin Edwards (5/5/15)
Book with number in title: Two & Two Make Twenty-Two by Gwen Briston & Bruce Manning (7/23/15)
Book written by someone under 30: The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (27 yrs old) [10/20/15]
Book with nonhuman characters: The Mote in God’s Eye by Niven & Pournelle (4/12/15)
A funny book: Death of a Tall Man by Frances & Richard Lockridge (1/31/15)
Book by a female author: Mother Finds a Body by Gypsy Rose Lee (1/12/15)
Mystery or thriller: Death Over Deep Water by Simon Nash (2/8/15)
Book with a one-word title: Panic by Helen McCloy (2/22/15)
Book of short stories: The World’s Best 100 Detective Stories Vol. 1 by Eugene Thwing, ed. (2/26/15)
Book set in different country: A Dead Man In Istanbul by Michael Pearce (1/14/15)
Nonfiction book: Mystery! A Celebration by Ron Miller (2/3/15)
Popular author’s first book: Caught Dead in Philadelphia by Gillian Roberts (2/11/15)
Book from author you love but haven’t read yet: 13 Steps Down by Ruth Rendell (2/15/15)
Book a friend recommended:
Pulitzer Prize winner:
Book based on a true story: Into the Valley by John Hersey (2/28/15)
Book at bottom of TBR pile: The Eye in the Museum by J. J. Connington (5/8/15)
Book your mom loves:
Book that scares you: Reliquary by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
Book more than 100 years old: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum [published in 1900] (11/15/15)
Book based on cover: Swing Low, Sweet Harriet by George Baxt (9/13/15)
Book supposed to read in school but didn’t: The Giver by Lois Lowry [I actually read every book we were required to read in school. So I chose a book on lists of required readings for other schools that I have never read.] (9/4/15)
A memoir:
Book you can finish in a day: Lost Laysen by Margaret Mitchell (2/17/15)
Book with antonyms in title: RFK: His Life & Death by Editors of American Heritage (4/15/15)
Book set somewhere you always wanted to visit: Death of a Dwarf by Harold Kemp (1/25/15)
Book that came out the year you were born: The Wilberforce Legacy by Josephine Bell (4/19/15)
Book with bad reviews: Spock, Messiah! by Theodore R. Cogswell & Charles A Spano, Jr. [and I added another one] (5/8/15)
A trilogy: The Cavalier in White (4/18/15); There Hangs the Knife; Dark Star by Marcia Muller
Book from childhood: The Ringmaster’s Secret by Carolyn Keene (4/16/15)
Book with a love triangle: The Riddle of the Traveling Skull by Harry Stephen Keeler (6/21/15)
Book set in the future: Ten Thousand Light-Years from Home by James Tiptree, Jr. (1/12/15)
Book set in high school:
Book with color in the title: Ride the Pink Horse by Dorothy B. Hughes (1/3/15)
Book that made you cry:
Book with magic: The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman
Graphic novel: The Adventure of the Three Students by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle [graphic novel version adapted by Vincent Goodwin; illustrated by Ben Dunn] (4/23/15)
Book by an author you’ve never read before: The Case of the Painted Girl by Frank King (1/6/15)
Book you own by have never read: The Case of Colonel Marchand by E. C. R. Lorac (4/27/15)
Book that takes place in your hometown: The Lack of the Irish by Ralph McInerny (7/11/15) [closest I could come--South Bend in fairly close to Wabash)
Book originally written in a different language: Paris in the Twentieth Century by Jules Verne [French] (10/11/15)
Book set during Christmas: The Crime & the Crystal by Elizabeth Ferrars (7/9/15)
Book written by an author with your initials: Call for Michael Shayne by Brett Halliday (4/22/15)
A play: Antony & Cleopatra by William Shakespeare (8/12/15)
A banned book:
Book based on or turned into a TV show: Harlan Ellison's City on the Edge of Forever by Ellison; Adapted by David & Scott Tipton (6/5/15)
Book you started but never finished: The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl (9/25/15)


3 comments:

Jamie Ghione said...

I'm doing this one too. Signed up when I saw it the day after Christmas. I too read all the books I was required to read in school, so I saw that category as an opportunity to re-read one, thus choosing "Of Mice and Men." A book set in my hometown is a hard one for me. and I don't remember if I ever started but didn't finish a book.

Bev Hankins said...

There aren't any books set in my hometown...so I'm just going for one set in Indiana. It's the closest I can get.

Jamie Ghione said...

I may read one from Steinbeck since he lived in Salinas, California, which is only about 40 miles from Hollister, where I live. Or one of the books at my library that focus on the history of Hollister or its neighboring towns. Or anything set in California--already read two mysteries in the Bay Area.