Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A Girl Walks Into a Bar: Mini-Review

Choose Your Own Adventure for Grown-Ups. 

So...needing books published in 2014 as well as a book that would fall under erotica for some challenges, A Girl Walks Into a Bar: Your Fantasy, Your Rules by Helena S. Paige caught my eye as I was scanning the new books at the library. On the face of it, she's developed a really good idea--take the Choose Your Own Adventure story premise from children's books and make the adventures sexy and spicy for the adult ladies in the reading world. Want a wild night with a rock star?  You can have it. More interested in the strong bodyguard or an older, businessman type? You can have that too. A sexy man with a sexy car...fun and games in the shower...a pick up at an art gallery?  It's up to you and the choices you make.

It seemed like a fun way to meet that erotica category. And to a certain extent it was. But, honestly, the adventures I remember in the Choose Your Own Adventures ('cause I totally read those when I was growing up) were much more fun and absorbing than the available choices here. Pretty standard fantasies with very few trimmings and not much excitement. It definitely didn't make me feel like I was stepping into alien territory and enjoying it--even when I deliberately made choices that I wouldn't in real life (actually that would be most of them). There was no sensuality--and I think that's what makes erotica sexy for me (and possibly most women). The choices were pretty much--snag this guy (or girl as the case may be), get it on, decide if you're done for the evening and then go for another round or head home for jammies and a dvd. 

A really good idea for something different on the adult level that didn't fulfill expectations. Enough fun and adventure for two and a half-ish stars.

2 comments:

fredamans said...

Sounds like the idea is great but wasn't followed through right. Done right this kind of adult book could be a ton of fun to read. I loved those choose-your-own books too as a kid. Too bad this wasn't up to par. Fab review!

Bev Hankins said...

Freda: This could have been so much better. It was decent but not great.