Monday, December 31, 2012

Vintage Scattergories: Progress & Wrap-up



All right, 2013 is here!  On your mark, get set---Read!  This is the place to track everyone's progress for this year's Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge and also to link reviews, if you review the books you read. There will be two linkys--one for reviews and one for a wrap-up post. If you do not have a blog, please submit a final tally of books read in a comment below. I will accept updates through January 6, 2014.

ALSO: As a special incentive for me as your host to get out there and really check out your wonderful reviews** AND as an incentive for YOU to keep an eye on what your fellow challengers are reading....This year I will be making a list and checking it twice in preparation for Christmas 2013.  Well...the end of the challenge year, anyway.  As I make my way through the linked up reviews, I'm going to take notes and prepare a Challenge-Ending Scavenger Hunt.  Taking a cue from John at Pretty Sinister Books and his devious trivia contest, there will be a quiz and prizes to win.  I haven't quite decided whether I'll be looking for quotes or plots or just send you all on a cover scavenger hunt.  But I promise to make it worth your while.

**I really fell down on the job this year--my apologies to all my returning challengers.  I just didn't get around to peek at the reviews in 2012 the way I had previously.  It had nothing to do with the quality of your reviews or the books you read--it was all a time crunch.  I'm hoping to relocate those lost hours in 2013. 

***UPDATE: Review Copy Offer for Vintage Mystery Challenge Participants!  Bello (an UK imprint of Pan Macmillan) has offered up review copies.  Please my post-- Attention Vintage Mystery Challengers -- for details.

Please enter your review links below. For Name Display, please use the following format as an example:

Bev@My Reader's Block (Book Title) 








Please enter your wrap-up links below.  For Name Display, please use the following format:

Bev@My Reader's Block (Wrap-up) 

 

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear bev,

belatedly posted my first contribution to the contest - for some reason on my browser all the entries of the third column on the right are totally squished though - is this just me?

All the best.
Sergio

TracyK said...

Bev, I am spacey today and linked my first vintage mystery in the wrap-up post area. I apologize. Can you remove it?

TracyK said...

I did add the link in the correct place, #21.

Bev Hankins said...

TracyK: Done!

Ryan said...

Since I'm not writing reviews, can I just leave a comment with the titles and what categories they fit. I already have a few of them read.

Anonymous said...

Hello mystery fans! I'm done the whole thing! With membership in over 30 themes, it's great to check off groups early in the year. I imagine a closing post is unrequired, with my page showing all review links?

I avoid traffic on my blog and scaring away readers of my articles (sign-up posts were a blur alone). I have Bev's mountain to tackle, so I'm still with her and ALWAYS welcome comments from all of you. :-)
Happily, Carolyn!
http://cmriedel.wordpress.com/2013/01/10/vintage-quick/

Debra Wilson said...

Oh dear, have to switch one of my planned categories as I misunderstood where the book took place! Had assigned "The Moonstone" to World Traveler but it really is Cops and Robbers.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bev - apologies, but I posted my review of THE GREEN PLAID PANTS in the wrap up section by mistake so it's now in both sections - sorry that my incompetence strikes again!

Thanks,

Sergio

Bev Hankins said...

Debra: No problem! feel free to change categories as necessary.

Sergio: I will take care of the errant post asap.

jmisgro said...

I messed up on the link on #110...it was a link to your category page!! Sorry! and Thanks if you can fix it!!

Bev Hankins said...

jmisgro: Taken care of! No problem.

Carol said...

Oops! Apparently I put up one of my reviews as a wrap-up. I'm sorry. Any way you can delete it?

Bev Hankins said...

Carol...will fix asap.

Mary R. said...

I just added my 11th review, this one in the Get out of Jail Free category. I decided it was a Medical Mystery: involving a doctor, nurse, etc. I thought this was a category but it wasn't so I used it. Maybe it could be if you do this again.

Gypsi said...

I am not writing reviews, but I am keeping my list on my blog. I've finished the first tier (8 books) and am nearly finished with the second! This is a wonderful challenge! Thanks for hosting it!

http://level1homemaker.blogspot.com/2013/06/vintage-mystery-reading-challenge.html

neer said...

Hi Bev

Have posted the review of Death in Retirement which I got from the publishers Bello for participating in this challenge.

Once again. thanks for hosting this challenge. Hope your father has recovered fully by now.

Mary R. said...

I read 20 books for this challenge and decided I needed to wrap it up now or I will never get my other challenges finished before the end of the year. I had a great time with these books. Thank you for hosting such a wonderful challenge!

neer said...

Dear Bev

Have completed the challenge. Will be signing up soon for the 2014 edition. Thank you so much for hosting this wonderful challenge year after year.

Gary McDole said...

Not having a blog, after consulting with Bev I’ve just posted a wrap-up link above (as Gary @ Blogless in Berkeley) to a page on my (seldom used) web site where I’ve listed, and to some extent described/discussed, the vintage mysteries I’ve read in 2013, matching them to categories.

If anyone is interested in seeing just the names of the books, authors, and matching categories, I’ve posted a list showing only that information at an alternate site, http://www.garymcdole.com/VMClist2013.htm

I appreciate having been able to crash the party at a late date (I was a November signup), and I’ve enjoyed reading some of the other reviews and blogs that I've learned of through this Challenge.

Bev Hankins said...

Gary: Just read through your synopses of the books you read this year. I know I've already said it--but thanks so much for joining us! Your mini-reviews are succinct and terrific and you've just added several new authors/books to my "Must Find and Read" list. I do hope that you'll join in with us on the 2014 version (click on link towards the top of my blog).

Anonymous said...

Happy new year from 'RIEDEL Fascination', mystery fans!!!! The 'linkies' for "Vintage" and "Mount" don't expire this day. Please shoot an e-mail if I'm mistaken. If not corrected; I'm gathering you give a few days in January to finish reviews and wrap-ups. If you aren't tallying today, this is a very gratifying break.

I'm done the game's requirements. When I catch my breath, I'll add the doubled 8 I accomplished. :) Yours Sincerely, Carolyn. http://cmriedel.wordpress.com/ethereal-2014/

Anonymous said...

Would you correct #313? A weird paranthesis turned up, instead of "The" that precedes my title.

Anonymous said...

Ah, it's an optical illusion. It looked like a square bracket at the end of my first lines. It's merely that the full first line doesn't show and it's half the "T" that we're seeing.

Anonymous said...

Please correct "Fascination" in #318. I've been swamped. Don't fret if my blog wrap-up doesn't appear caught up for a few days. Happy new year to 2014!