Saturday, December 22, 2012

2012 Mount TBR Final Check Point

 

Wow. We're almost done with 2012 and it's time to get ready for the Final Mountaineering Checkpoint. Where does the time go? I'm ready to hear how all our mountain-climbing buddies have done out there on Pike's Peak, Mt. Ararat, Mt. Everest....whichever peak you've chosen. Checkpoint participation is absolutely voluntary and is not considered necessary for challenge completion.

For those who would like to participate in this checkpoint post, I'd like you to at least complete the first of these two things.  And if you feel particularly inspired (or generous about humoring me this holiday season), then please do both.

1. Tell us how many miles you made it up your mountain (# of books read). If you've planted your flag on the peak, then tell us and celebrate (and wave!).  Even if you were especially athletic and have been sitting atop your mountain for months, please check back in and remind us quickly you sprinted up that trail. And feel free to tell us about any particularly exciting adventures you've had along the way.

2. Using the titles of the books you read this year, please fill in "My Life in Books 2012":


One time at band/summer camp, I: 
Weekends at my house are:
My neighbor is:
My (ex) boss is:
My ex was:
My superhero secret identity is: 
You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry because: 
I’d win a gold medal in:
I’d pay good money for: 
If I were president, I would: 
When I don’t have good books, I: 
Loud talkers at the movies should: 



And what do you get for all that hard work? The Checkpoint will close at 11:59 pm on Monday, December 31. On Tuesday I will crank up the Custom Random Number Generator and pick a winning climber. He or she will have the chance to add to their TBR stack via my gently-used book vault (prize list will be sent). This prize is the only book given to you in 2013 that may count towards a 2013 TBR climb.

Even if you're not in the mood for a prize or if you got distracted by pretty scenery or side trails (library books, ARCs, what-have-you), I'd love to have you check in and tell us how your 2012 mountain climb went!

***Please note--Links are for Checkpoint posts only. Links that are not Checkpoint-specific will be removed--to make it easier for me to track a winner.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I posted mine a while ago, I'm going to answer the questions here:

One time at summer camp, I: (saw) The Phantom of Pemberley)
Weekends at my house are: A Game of Thrones
My neighbor is: Flesh and Blood
My boss is: Becoming Jane Eyre
My ex was: A Dance with Dragons
My Superhero Secret Identity is: Villette
You wouldn't like me when I'm angry because: (I'm) A Storm of Swords
I'd win a gold medal in: Murder(ing) on the Orient Express
I'd pay good money for: (something in) The Color Purple
If I were president, I would: (help) People in Trouble
When I don't have good books, I: (only have) Great Expectations)
Loud talkers at the movies should: (realize) Other Voices, Other Rooms

Wow this was really hard! I'm sure most of mine don't make a lot of sense, but they are funny. The ex is the best.

Bev Hankins said...

Very good, Geoff! I think they make lots of sense. The ex is good...and I don't want to mess with anybody who's a Storm of Swords. :-)

Debbie Rodgers @Exurbanis said...

Since my wind-up is already posted, I'll leave this here as well. It was really difficult as the list of titles from which to choose was not very long!

One summer at camp I listened to Coyote Sing(s) to the Moon
Weekends at my house are a Midsummer Night's Dream
My neighbour is Jane Eyre
My ex-boss is MacBeth
My ex was A Jest of God
My superhero secret identity is the Illustrated Man
I'd win a gold medal in My Financial Career and Other follies
I'd pay good money for Travels with Charley
If I were president, I'd Map(ping) Love & Death
When I don't have good books, I Head(ing) Home
Loud talkers at the movies should be dispatched In Cold Blood

Bev Hankins said...

Very nice, Debbie! You did well with your short list.

TracyK said...

Bev, I have linked up my wrap up post. Thanks for hosting the challenge, and I will be working on my TBR pile with you again this year. Please don't include me in the prize drawing.

Kate said...

1. 100 miles (and more!)

2. "My Life in Books 2012":

One time at summer camp, I had a : Perfect Summer
Weekends at my house are: A Wild Neighborhood
My neighbor is: Dead Madonna
My (ex) boss is: God Delusion
My ex was: A Grave Disturbance
My superhero secret identity is: Old Gods Waken
You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry because: If I'd Killed Him When I Met Him
I’d win a gold medal in: Ashes & Bones
I’d pay good money for: Organizing for Life
If I were president, I would: Plan B 2.0
When I don’t have good books, I: Ghost Dance
Loud talkers at the movies should: Twice Shy

Susan said...

1. I finished 19 books from my TBR shelves. Only 2 of the 12 I originally listed, but at least I made progress. I have plenty more for next year's challenge!

2. "My Life in Books 2012" (includes more than TBR!)
One time at band/summer camp, I: Dreams of the Dead

Weekends at my house are: Earthly Delights

My neighbor is: An Irish Country Doctor

My (ex) boss is: The Man in the Queue

My ex was: The Double Cross

My superhero secret identity is: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry because: Green is for Danger

I'd win a gold medal in: State Fair

I'd pay good money for: The Winding Ways Quilt

If I were president, I would: Return to Marshall's Bayou

When I don't have good books, I: Quilt As You Go

Loud talkers at the movies should: May the Road Rise Up to Meet You

sawcat said...

I've only managed to get through 10 books that I owned before this year. I blame the tempting library offerings.