Sunday, November 25, 2012

Challenge Complete: Back to the Classics

Back when I signed up for the Back to the Classics Challenge, I optimistically thought that I would read more classics than I have.  Taking stock with just a little over a month left in 2012, I realize that I'm not going to get through all the books I originally planned for this challenge.  So....I looked over the classics I have read and I discovered that I have already read a classic that will cover what was my last remaining category [Country I'm Unlikely to Visit].  And, so....the Back to the Classics Challenge is officially complete

Categories and the classics read for them:
  • Any 19th Century Classic: A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (2/29/12) [1859]. Also, although not linked up: North & South by Elizabeth Gaskell [1855]
  • Any 20th Century Classic: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (7/12/12)  Also, although not linked up: Full Moon by P. G. Wodehouse and The Four Million & Other Stories by O. Henry
  • Reread a classic of your choice: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (6/3/12)
  • A Classic Play: The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare (6/30/12)
  • Classic Mystery/Horror/Crime Fiction: The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett (4/4/12)  Also, although not linked up: Dracula by Bram Stoker; The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; The 39 Steps by John Buchan; and The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells.
  • Classic Romance: Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen (8/13/12) Also, though not linked up: Venetia by Georgette Heyer
  • Read a Classic that has been translated from its original language to your language (To clarify, if your native language is NOT English, you may read any classic originally written in English that has been translated into your native language.): The Mystery of the Yellow Room by Gaston Leroux (3/19/12) [French]. Also, although not linked up: File No. 113 by Emile Gaboriau [French]
  • Classic Award Winner (To clarify, the book should be a classic which has won any established literary award.): The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin [Newberry Award Winner] (4/6/12)
  • Read a Classic set in a Country that you (realistically speaking) will not visit during your lifetime (To Clarify, this does not have to be a country that you hope to visit either. Countries that no longer exist or have never existed count.): King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (5/29/12) [South Africa]

1 comment:

Sarah Reads Too Much said...

Fantastic Job! I love how you also listed other titles you read that could count toward the category. Well Done!!

Sarah