Sunday, November 12, 2023

Fear Nothing


 Fear Nothing
Vol 1 (2010) by Dean Koontz; adapted by Grant Alter from the original Koontz novel (1997)

This graphic novel tells the first part of Koontz's story about 28-year-old Christopher Snow who lives in the city of Moonlight Bay, California. Chris has XP (xeroderma pigmentosum) a very rare genetic disease that makes light deadly to him. He has lived his life in darkness, using candlelight instead of regular light and covering up as completely as possible when forced to go out in daytime. The story opens with the death of his father. Both his father and mother have succumbed to cancer and, while Chris is saddened at their deaths, he doesn't think there is anything nefarious about the circumstances until....

Directly after his father's death, he witnesses an exchange in the hospital parking garage that leads him to believe that all is not as it seems. Before he knows it, he's being stalked by military-types and family friends who help shelter him begin dying. He teams up with his best surfing buddy Bobby in an attempt to find out what's going on before the stalkers catch up to him.

Full disclosure: I needed a Dean Koontz book for a reading challenge. Otherwise, I would never have picked this one up--I didn't think Koontz would be my cup of tea. Now I'm disgruntled to find out that this was volume one in what was supposed to be a complete graphic novel series based on the original book. But Koontz never finished the graphic novels. And now...I think I'm going to have to get the original book because Koontz hooked  me and now I want to know what happened to Chris's parents and what the big secret about the military base at Moonlight Bay is. So, Dean Koontz, you did your job. You got me interested and now I have to read the rest. It may not be my standard type of mystery, but there's definitely a mystery to be solved. It may have a weird solution (not having ever read a Dean Koontz book before, who know?), but as long as it makes sense I'll be satisfied. Off to figure out if my library has the original novel....  ★★★★

First lines: I am not psychic. I do not see signs and portents in the sky.

Last line: I was sure...we were going to find out.

************

Deaths = 4 (two natural; one suicide; one stabbed)


No comments: