SCAM artist alert

Apparently there is someone calling themself "Luigi Calloway" out there who is claiming to be associated with the Mount TBR Reading Challenge. He is contacting authors and telling them if they pay him, then their books will be used for the challenge. It's possible he's also telling people they must pay to participate in any way. Please know that there is absolutely no charge associated in any way with this reading challenge and that this person does NOT represent me or anything associated with my blog. I DO NOT endorse anything that he claims.There will NEVER be a reason for anyone to have to pay for participation in any way for any of my challenges. If only people who exert this much time and effort on scamming people would put it into something worthwhile....like reading their own books! A message to Luigi: Please cease and desist contacting authors (or anyone) in my name or claiming to represent this reading challenge. You absolutely DO NOT.

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Challenge Complete: Vintage Scattergories



I have finally completed my commitment for the Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge.  I long ago completed the initial commitment of at least 8 books and then took a little longer to get to 16. But I knew (and I'm sure you did too) that I would go for the craziness of reading at least one book for each of the original categories.  I've now done that--so mission accomplished for 2013.  But...stay tuned.  I'm sure I'll finish the extra categories before the year's out...as well as the extra academic mysteries that I mentioned.  I did occasionally read extra books for a category--for a full list of books read, please see my sign up post.

Here's the list of books for the initial categories:
(Category #1) Colorful Crime: The Puzzle of the Silver Persian by Stuart Palmer [1943] (1/15/13) 
(Category #2) Murder by the Numbers: Death Knocks Three Times by Anthony Gilbert [1949] (9/27/13)
(Category #3) Amateur Night: The Mummy Case Mystery by Dermot Morrah [1933] (7/3/13)
(Category #4) Leave It to the Professionals: Dead Man Control by Helen Reilly [1936] (7/6/13)
(Category #5) Jolly Old England: Mist on the Saltings by Henry Wade [1933] (7/26/13)
(Category #6) Yankee Doodle Dandy: Sally's in the Alley by Norbert Davis [1943] (3/25/13)
(Category #7) World Traveler: Death in Zanzibar by M. M. Kaye [1959] (6/25/13)
(Category #8) Dangerous Beasts: The Talking Sparrow Murders by Darwin L. Teilhet [1934] (5/6/13)
(Category #9) A Calendar of Crime: Holiday Homicide by Rufu King [1940; New Year's]
(Category #10) Wicked Women: The Lady in the Morgue by Jonathan Latimer [1936] (3/10/13)
(Category #11) Malicious Men: Malcolm Sage: Detective by Herbert Jenkins [1921] (9/8/13)
(Category #12) Murderous Methods: Spotted Hemlock by Gladys Mitchell [1958] (7/18/13)
(Category #13) Staging the Crime: Unhappy Hooligan by Stuart Palmer [1956; Circus performers] (3/24/13)
(Category #14) Scene of the Crime: Murder on Safari by Elspeth Huxley [1938] (6/8/13)
(Category #15) Cops & Robbers: The Cavalier's Cup by Carter Dickson [1953] (2/5/13)
(Category #16) Locked Rooms: Till Death Do Us Part by John Dickson Carr [1944] (8/2/13)
(Category #17) Country House Criminals: Sleep No More by Margaret Erskine [1958]
(Category #18) Murder on the High Seas: Inland Passage by George Harmon Coxe [1953] (5/2/3)
(Category # 19) Planes, Trains & Automobiles: Death in the Air by Agatha Christie [1935] (8/5/13)
(Category #20*) Murder Is Academic: Corpses at Indian Stones by Philip Wylie [1943] (2/7/13)
(Category #21) Things That Go Bump in the Night: The Devil's Stronghold by Leslie Ford [1948] (4/21/13)
(Category #22) Repeat Offenders: The Mystery of Hunting's End by Mignon G. Eberhart [1930] (3/29/13)
(Category #23) The Butler Did It...or Not: The Door by Mary Roberts Rinehart [1930] (8/22/13)
(Category #24) A Mystery by Any Other Name: London Particular (aka Fog of Doubt) by Christianna Brand [1952] (7/22/13)
(Category #25) Dynamic Duos: Murder Within Murder by Frances & Richard Lockridge [1946] (6/14/13)  Pam & Jerry North
(Category #26) Size Matters: The Long Farewell by Michael Innes [1958] (8/3/13)
(Category #27) Psychic Phenomena: The Curse of the Bronze Lamp by Carter Dickson [1945] (5/27/13) Egyptian seer predicts Lady Helen Loring will disappear--she does.
(Category #28) Book to Movie: The Lady Vanishes (aka The Wheel Spins) by Ethel Lina White [1936] (3/17/13)
(Category #29) The Old Bailey: Tragedy at Law by Cyril Hare [1942] (6/21/13)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Bev - I always knew you'd make it! I will certainly make the 13 I set myself but would love to get all the categories done fore the year out - will just have to wait and see - am really enjoying this as always Bev, thanks very much for looking after us!

Gypsi said...

That is awesome!

I'm still working on completing them all, but I lack 9 (though I have the book and haven't read it yet), 21, 26. I need 31 and 32 to finish the other challenges. I might have to borrow some inspiration from your choices!

I have truly enjoyed this challenge; hope you are planning for it again next year!

Bev Hankins said...

Never fear...another round of Vintage reading is on its way for 2014. I've got my plan set--there will be a slight twist. But hopefully, lots of fun. I like to do something a little different each year just to keep things interesting. Stay tuned!

Bev Hankins said...

Oh and, Sergio, I have no doubt that you'll make it.

srivalli said...

wow! i would love to do all the 30 categories too, I don't think I will able to do this year. i am just going to aim to read 16 that i initially set to do.