Thursday, December 20, 2012
2013 Mystery/Crime Reading Challenge
Like Amy at The Crafty Book Nerd, I love a good mystery. My favorites are the Vintage/Golden Age detective novels--including those by Christie, Sayers and Doyle my favorite authors include Agatha Christie, James Patterson, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (evidenced by my own Vintage Mystery Challenge). That being the case, picking up this challenge won't add too much to the reading list for 2013.
Here are the basics if you want to join in the fun (for full details and to link up, jump on Amy's link above):
1.) The challenge starts January 1, 2013 and ends December 31, 2013.
2.) You can read any novel, short story or author just so that the genre is mystery/crime.
3.) 1 novel counts as 1 novel( 1 novel is anything over 100 pages) of course but you will have to read 5 short stories to count as 1 novel.
4.) There will be a monthly post for you to add a link or links to your post showing the progress that you have made so far. AND monthly drawings for those who link up.
There are various levels based on how many books you read. I'm going for the top:
30+ books = Sherlock Holmes
If you have any questions about the way the challenge works then check out Amy's site.
My List of Books:
1. A Dark & Stormy Night by Jeanne M. Dams (1/4/13)
2. The Man Who Went up in Smoke by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö (1/8/13)
3. The Evil That Men Do by Jeanne M. Dams (1/11/13)
4. The Corpse of St. James's by Jeanne M. Dams (1/13/13)
5. The Puzzle of the Silver Persian by Stuart Palmer (1/15/13)
6. Four Lost Ladies by Stuart Palmer (1/23/13)
7. The Case of the Negligent Nymph by Erle Stanley Gardner (1/24/13)
8. Murder at Markham by Patricia Sprinkle (1/26/13)
9. Veiled Murder by Alice Campbell (1/28/13)
10. India Black & the Shadows of Anarchy by Carol K. Carr (1/29/13)
11. The Cavalier's Cup by Carter Dickson (2/5/13)
12. Corpses at Indian Stones by Philip Wylie (2/7/13)
13. Unnatural Habits by Kerry Greenwood (2/11/13)
14. The Desert Moon Mystery by Kay Cleaver Strahan (2/19/13)
15. Aaron's Serpent by Emily Thorn (2/22/13)
16. The World's 100 Best Short Stories, Vol. III: Mystery by Grant Overton, ed (2/24/13)
17. His Last Bow by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (2/25/13)
18. The Green Plaid Pants by Margaret Scherf (3/3/13)
19. The Lady in the Morgue by Jonathan Latimer (3/10/13)
20. The Diplomat & the Gold Piano by Margaret Scherf (3/16/13)
21. The Lady Vanishes (aka The Wheel Spins) by Ethel Lina White (3/17/13)
22. Unhappy Hooligan by Stuart Palmer (3/24/13)
23. Sally's in the Alley by Norbert Davis (3/25/13)
24. Hammett Unwritten by Owen Fitzstephen (Gordon McAlpine) [3/30/13]
25. Black Widow by Patrick Quentin (4/3/13)
26. In the Shadow of Gotham by Stefanie Pintoff (4/9/13)
27. The Ivy League Chronicles: 9 Squares by E. K. Prescott (4/10/13)
28. The Frozen Shroud by Martin Edwards (4/14/13)
29. The Mountains Have a Secret by Arthur W. Upfield (4/16/13)
30. The Devil's Stronghold by Leslie Ford (4/21/13)
31. The Silence of Herondale by Joan Aiken (4/21/13)
Challenge Complete! Still Reading....
32. Holiday Homicide by Rufus King (4/23/13)
33. Death Has Green Fingers by Lionel Black (4/30/13)
34. Blood Makes Noise by Gregory Widen ((4/30/13)
35. Inland Passage by George Harmon Coxe (5/2/13)
36. Choice of Evils by E. X. Ferrars (5/4/13)
37. The Talking Sparrow Murders by Darwin L. Teilhet (5/6/13)
38. Murder as a Fine Art by David Morrell (read 5/8/13--review due for virtual blog tour 5/28/12)