SCAM artist alert

Apparently there is someone calling himself "Luigi Calloway" out there who is claiming to be associated with the Mount TBR Reading Challenge. He is contacting authors and telling them if they pay him, then their books will be used for the challenge. It's possible he's also telling people they must pay to participate in any way. Please know that there is absolutely no charge associated in any way with this reading challenge and that this person does NOT represent me or anything associated with my blog. I DO NOT endorse anything that he claims.There will NEVER be a reason for anyone to have to pay for participation in any way for any of my challenges. If only people who exert this much time and effort on scamming people would put it into something worthwhile....like reading their own books! A message to Luigi: Please cease and desist contacting authors (or anyone) in my name or claiming to represent this reading challenge. You absolutely DO NOT.

Sunday, October 4, 2026

The Clue of the Broken Locket


 The Clue of the Broken Locket (Original text 1934/Revised text 1965) by Carolyn Keene

Once again I have returned to the revised text which I read when growing up. This book was my all-time favorite Nancy Drew novel and I wanted to see if it held up when read in my mid-fifties rather than during elementary school. I thought that I might read both versions of the text, but I think I'll put off the original text for another time. I was more in the mood for nostalgia than I was for a different version.

Here, Nancy, Bess, and George make a trip to Misty Lake. Carson Drew has asked Nancy to meet a young woman by the name of Cecily Curtis and give her the key to a cabin on the lake. The job was originally assigned to Mr. Winch, the cabin's caretaker, but Winch has cried off the job. He swears the place is haunted and that a ghostly launch appears out on the lake. Nancy, of course, can't resist the mystery. 

And then once the girls meet Cecily, Nancy is faced with two more mysteries. Cecily's fiancé, popular singer Niko Van Dyke, is missing royalty payments for all of the records sold of his latest hit single. He's sure that the record company is cheating him, but there may be more to the story. In addition, Cecily is on the hunt for a treasure that belongs to her family. According to a note in a locket passed down in the family, a clue is supposed to be hidden in "an iron bird" on the family's estate--but the estate was sold long ago and records have been lost. Cecily believes that Pudding Stone Lodge on Misty Lake previously belonged to her family and longs to investigate. 

The lodge is currently being rented by a surly man by the name of Driscoll and his brother--and his wife. After an uncomfortable encounter with Mr. Surly Driscoll, his brother comes to apologize and offers the girls the opportunity to search for Cecily's iron bird. But strange events start happening--Nancy gets locked out on the roof: there are a pair of twins that don't look very much like the Driscolls; there's a flashing light from a little round window in an inaccessible part of the house; and there are odd humming noises coming from the beach near the lodge. Before Nancy is done, she will have solve the mystery of the iron bird and the mystery of twins and the light...and the mystery of Niko's missing royalties. 

Well...I enjoyed my trip down memory lane. The story is still thoroughly enjoyable and I love the adventures that Nancy and company get up to. I know a bit about the original text and it's both interesting and a bit baffling how the original storyline of the children is used. Other than adding one more mystery to the already full plotline, I'm not sure how much it adds. There are always coincidences involved in any Nancy Drew story, but we do push the limits a bit on this one. I'm not going to change my rating, though. I loved this book as a child and I'm giving it the full ★★★★★ that I originally handed out.

First line: As Nancy Drew seated herself at the breakfast table, she noticed a door key beside her plate.

Last line: "I'll never, never forget you or the clue of the broken locket!"
********************

Deaths = one auto accident 

No comments: