SCAM artist alert

Apparently there is someone calling himself "Luigi Calloway" out there who is claiming to be associated with the Mount TBR Reading Challenge. He is contacting authors and telling them if they pay him, then their books will be used for the challenge. It's possible he's also telling people they must pay to participate in any way. Please know that there is absolutely no charge associated in any way with this reading challenge and that this person does NOT represent me or anything associated with my blog. I DO NOT endorse anything that he claims.There will NEVER be a reason for anyone to have to pay for participation in any way for any of my challenges. If only people who exert this much time and effort on scamming people would put it into something worthwhile....like reading their own books! A message to Luigi: Please cease and desist contacting authors (or anyone) in my name or claiming to represent this reading challenge. You absolutely DO NOT.

Saturday, October 3, 2026

Mystery of the Moss-Covered Mansion


 Mystery of the Moss-Covered Mansion (1941/1971) by Carolyn Keene
[originally published in 1941; I have read the revised edition first published in 1971]

Apparently there is a substantial change in the storyline between the original and revised texts. I do have an original text copy around here somewhere (haven't found it on the TBR mountain range yet). The revised version is what I grew up with. In this edition, Mr. Billington, a client of Carson Drew's (with interests in New York, though a resident of Florida) has been charged with hiding explosives within the oranges sent in the latest batch for the Cape Kennedy Space Center. He swears he had no idea that explosives had been stuffed in the oranges and has asked Carson to help his Florida lawyer find out who has framed him and why. 

Carson brings Nancy along to help with the detective work and, of course, she invites Bess and George to join them as well.  And later Ned, Burt, and Dave come to Florida as well.There's all sorts of mysterious goings-on at the orange farm and the spooky old neighboring moss-covered mansion--from the odd behavior of Billington's packing plant manager and wife (who serve as houseman and housekeeper as well) to the men who live at the mansion to the wild animals that roam the mansion's fenced-in grounds. Someone sets fire to the orange grove, Nancy and Ned are locked in another old house, and the motorboat (in which they traveled) is stolen. Someone wants the Drews and company to leave the matter alone...but Nancy can never leave a mystery unsolved--especially when the entire space program may be at risk!

The reread of the revised version hit me about the same as it did when I read it back in the mid- to late-seventies. It's a decent story with a good amount of action and it was nice to see Ned have a fair amount to do as a partner in Nancy's investigation. But the story just didn't grab me. I had a difficult time with the explosive oranges (did the bad guys really think that would work?). The back-up plan with the laser seemed to be a much better idea. A fun afternoon's read and walk down memory lane. When I find my original text copy, I'll be interested to see how it compares. ★★★

First line: The Drews' living room was in semidarkness as Nancy walked in.

Last line: "But I'm terribly proud of you!"
*********************

Deaths = one natural

[finished on 9/23/26]

No comments: