Murder at the Royal Albert Hall (2021) by Lee Strauss (read by Elizabeth Klett)
August 1926. A night of operatic culture and a matrimonial triumph for Felicia Gold turns into tragedy. Ginger Reed and her family--husband Inspector Basil Reed, Grandmother Ambrosia & sister-in-law Felicia (by Ginger's previous marriage), and Felicia's beau Charles, Lord Davenport-Witt--are out for night at the opera. An event prompted by a note the Dowager Lady Gold received from two old friends from finishing school days. Ambrosia agreed to come and meet them at the interval, but insisted on sitting with her family. Before the curtain rises, Charles takes center stage and publicly proposes to Felicia (delighting the young woman who loves to be the focus of attention).
But her delight turns to horror later in the evening when the Duchess of Worthington, another of Ambrosia's former friends, falls from the balcony and dies. What initially looks like accident is soon proves to be murder. When the Duke of Worthington is also killed, it seems that somebody is working out a grudge. And when Basil and Ginger try to question Ambrosia and the remainder of the "sisterhood"--just to get background on the Worthingtons, none of the ladies want to talk. Could it be that secrets of the past are just now taking their toll? And what could possibly have happened now that murder seems like the only answer? Ambrosia's diary from those years may hold some clues, but will she be willing to share it before more murders take place?
This is an interesting twist in the Ginger Gold mysteries. Through Ambrosia's diary entries, we get a glimpse of what the Dowager Duchess was as a young girl (and we see shades of both Felicia and Ginger's personalities there--even though Ginger isn't blood related). We also get a more solid mystery with clues. If the solution had rested entirely on the clues given, I would have raised my rating even more but, alas, there isn't any way that I can see (well--hear, since I listened to the audio version) that the reader could have figured out the complete motive. I suspected the right culprit--but more from context than from clues to motive. I will concede that it's possible I missed the clues. It's more difficult for me to pick them up and track them when listening rather than reading with my eyes. But I don't think I did. I'm also not sure how to interpret that last line...I'm hoping that what I think might be in store is a figment of my imagination. ★★★★
First line: The anticipation surrounding the opera at the Royal Albert Hall was palpable.
Last lines: Ginger sighed. She would make a truce with Charles that their past wouldn't come to haunt them. Would it?
*********************
Deaths = 4 (two stabbed; two poisoned)






















No comments:
Post a Comment