Friday, October 18, 2024

Find a Crooked Sixpence


 Find a Crooked Sixpence (1970) by Estelle Thompson

Dr. Jacqueline Freeman's friend Dr. Arthur Pembroke in Willowbank, Australia is planning to take an extended vacation and needs someone to cover his practice. He invites Jackie to come and look over the area about a year ahead so she can see if she thinks she'd like to do it. During her preliminary visit, there is a major rainstorm and flood during which a bridge is washed out. The wife of playwright Carl Shrader is found murdered. Their farm was cut off when bridge collapsed and if Carl had not obviously been on the wrong side of the river when the murder occurred, he would have been arrested immediately. You see, Carl and his wife Eleanor had a big fight earlier that was overheard and implied that she was involved with another man. And there doesn't seem to be another motive anywhere...not even robbery. But when a man can't swim and there weren't any boats readily available, it's difficult to pin a murder on him. So, the murder goes unsolved.

When Jackie returns to Willowbank to take over the practice, she finds herself more and more attracted to Carl. The villagers obviously think Carl killed his wife--even if there doesn't seem to be a way for him to have done so. Carl swears he's innocent and she believes him, so she begins asking questions...questions that draw the attention of the killer and puts her life in danger. There is a near-miss in a shooting incident that results in a phone call:

"I wanted you to know I am sorry," the whisper said hoarsely....
"About this morning?" I suggested pleasantly. "About the shooting accident, is that it?"
***
"It was no accident. You have to die. I just wanted you to know I regret that fact.

At this point, Jackie has no idea why she has to die. Apparently, her questions and/or observations have given her some knowledge that is dangerous to someone. But she doesn't know what...or who. And if she doesn't find out soon, the next time they might not miss.

This was my first mystery by Australian author Thompson. She appears to have written stand-alones rather than settling on a series character. The plot follows in the woman-in-danger tradition--though both Jackie and Carl face dangers--so there is a bit of a Gothic feel. It's a solid story but I can't say that I felt a great connection to either of our main characters. A bit more depth would have gone a long way. The mystery itself was interesting and there were definitely clues that could have been picked up...if I had just seen them. I didn't. That didn't prevent me from focusing on the culprit. I just couldn't have told you (from clues) why I suspected them. ★★  for this outing, but I am interested in seeing how she does in the other title I have sitting on the TBR pile (Hunter in the Dark).

First line: The rain was easing a little, I thought, as I pulled upon the door of the car and slid hurriedly behind the wheel; but it was still heavy enough to dampen my clothes quickly, and to bring the summer dusk prematurely over the tiny town.

Last line: "Then, let's go and invite the nice policeman to our wedding," I said, and together we went out into the moonlight.
******************

Deaths = 3 (one hit on head; two natural)

No comments: