Saturday, July 20, 2024

Death in a Small World


 Death in a Small World (1979) by Laura Colburn (Ian McMahon)

Carol Gates, a young artist who works as an illustrator, attends a party hosted by her friends Angelo and Ginny. While there she meets Steve McCullough who is staying with the couple as a friend of a friend of Angelo's. By the end of the evening, Steve has died--fallen to his death in the elevator shaft. Since the young man was a virtual stranger to everyone and there seemed to be no motive for either murder or suicide, the death is quickly slated as an unfortunate accident. The latch on the elevator door was faulty and it's possible the young man mistook the elevator door for something else. 

But Carol can't get an odd conversation from early in the evening out of her mind and can't help thinking that Steve's death was really murder. While glancing around the room, Steve had asked her if she believed in doppelgangers, spoke of coincidences, and wondered if you could recognize people after many years had passed. There are also a few details about the accident scene that caught her artist's eye--one which just might help solve the mystery if she could just remember what it was. And...if she can remember before the killer decides to polish her off too.

This is another in a series of "Zebra Mystery Puzzlers," a series from the 70s and 80s that featured illustrations that were meant to help observant readers solve the mystery. These are very simple puzzle plots--think slightly more advanced Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys stories. I read my first two in my teenage years. I do enjoy them and I enjoy the set-up, but I have to say that in my recent return to the series I haven't needed the illustrations to identify the killer. And, as smart and observant as Carol seems to be in all other areas, I'm very surprised she didn't spot them either. And that she played reckless heroine and got herself into that situation at the end where they might have added her to the body count.

I did enjoy the mystery plot itself and the various red herrings that were thrown in to cloud the issue--though I will say that I would have enjoyed it more if the primary red herring had wound up being the true answer. In comparison, the actual solution was just a bit of a let down (even if it did make sense). Overall, a fun, light, and quick read. ★★

First line: Angelo Politano stood in the kitchen of his Soho loft, staring down at the table, his shoulders hunched and his thick gray eyebrows nearly meeting.

Last line: "But I'll tell you what," Carol added with an impish grin, "if you ask me very nicely, I might let you pay this month's telephone bill!"

******************

Deaths = 2 (one fell from height; one hit by truck)

No comments: