Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Playing with Myself


 Playing with Myself
(2022) by Randy Rainbow

Told at the breakneck speed of one of his Broadway musical-style send-ups of Donald Trump and friends, Randy Rainbow gives us the lowdown on how he became the internet sensation behind such gemas as "Desperate Cheeto" and"Braggadocius." He tells us about growing up "different" and how after playing Snow White and other female leads on the regular in his home-produced plays his dad had the audacity to pretend to be surprised when his son came out of the closet. He follows with the story of heading back to New York City (his family moved from there to Florida when his dad couldn't hold down a job) where he took all sorts of jobs--he was a Hooter's hostess at one point!--before his home-produced internet videos began taking the world by storm. A real rags to riches story that gives readers both humorous episodes and touching moments. I think my favorites are those involving his Nanny (his grandma and biggest fan) and his cat Mushi. I have to confess to being teary-eyed when he lost Mushi during the pandemic. There are lessons along the way--from "don't give up on your dreams" to "wear your pink glasses and show the world the real you." I've been a fan of Randy Rainbow's from the first video I watched and I enjoyed every minute spent reading his memoir. ★★★★

First lines: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Fine, I didn't write that. But it's how I really wanted the opening chapter of this book to begin.

Last line: all right, now get the hell outta here...I need some me time.

No comments: