Thursday, March 9, 2023

Number One Is Walking: Mini-Review


 Number One Is Walking: My Life in the Movies & Other Diversions (2022) by Steve Martin (drawings by Harry Bliss)

A graphic novel memoir from Steve Martin recounting stories and incidents from his life in movies with a few detours along the way. He gives brief stories about his most memorable roles as well as bits and pieces about some of his co-stars--from Martin Short to Lily Tomlin and Bill Murray to Goldie Hawn. There are also stories about Gene Kelly, Paul McCartney, Carl Reiner and others. Illustrations and cartoons are provided by New Yorker cartoonist Harry Bliss.

This is a quick, fairly enjoyable read--though I must say I enjoyed Martin's autobiography Born Standing Up a lot more. Some of the stories here are interesting and some are funny, but fewer than anticipated. Some of the cartoons are funny...but not all. One of the best parts of the graphic novel is the dog Penny. I thoroughly enjoyed her running commentary throughout. The book made me smile--I had hoped for laugh out loud funny. ★★

1 comment:

Kami said...

I love Steve Martin and graphic novels. Why have I not seen this before. Thanks for the review.