SCAM artist alert

Apparently there is someone calling themself "Luigi Calloway" out there who is claiming to be associated with the Mount TBR Reading Challenge. He is contacting authors and telling them if they pay him, then their books will be used for the challenge. It's possible he's also telling people they must pay to participate in any way. Please know that there is absolutely no charge associated in any way with this reading challenge and that this person does not represent me or anything associated with my blog. There will NEVER be a reason for anyone to have to pay for participation in any way for any of my challenges. If only people who exert this much time and effort on scamming people would put it into something worthwhile....like reading their own books!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Book-Binge Reading

So, all this week I've been on a book-binge vacation. Stopping at used book stores hither and yon and grabbing up all the interesting mysteries I've seen. Result: pretty much stayed home the last day and a half and have started working my way through the little gems. In that time, I have knocked out Peril at End House by Agatha Christie (I always love me a good Agatha Christie. Even when I've read it before. It was just a pleasure to sit and read one of the SEVEN pocket book editions I found. Has anyone noticed how much I love those little editions?). Followed that up with Gently Floating by Alan Hunter. This was an early book (maybe the second) in the Inspector Gently series. I normally like these British police procedurals, but this one just didn't do much for me. The style seemed off and I really couldn't get into Gently's investigative process in this one. Then I read four Lee Harris books. She writes a clever series starring an ex-nun who has a real problem with holidays and special days. I whipped right through The Yom Kippur Murder, The New Year's Eve Murder, The Happy Birthday Murder, and The Bar Mitzvah Murder. While I always enjoy following Christine Bennett Brooks in her investigations, the best of the four were The Yom Kippur Murder & The Bar Mitzvah Murder. Chris has a way of getting people to talk to her when they won't talk to the police and also has a way of seeing old murders from a different perspective. I've read about ten from this series and even though they might appear a bit formulaic, they always reel me in. And I rarely figure out whodunnit before Chris does.

No comments: