
Here's what I've got this week from The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell:
Zoetrope: is a device that produces an illusion of action from a rapid succession of static pictures. The term zoetrope is from the Greek words "zoe", "life" and τρόπος - tropos, "turn". It may be taken to mean "wheel of life". (Wikipedia)
Context: She speaks to no one, these days. She wants to concentrate, she doesn't like to muddy things with the distraction of speech. There is a zoetrope inside her head and she doesn't like to be caught out when it stops.





















2 comments:
Oh, I know what that is, but I've never known it's name - I think we called them flipbooks or something. What a great word!
I think I remember reading about zoetropes as the precursors to animated film, but like Kathy, I couldn't have come up with the name in a million years!
Post a Comment