Dandy Gilver & an Unsuitable Day for Murder (2010) by Catriona McPherson
Synopsis from Publisher's Weekly: When Mirren Aitken, a department store heiress goes missing, Mirren's mother asks well-to-do sleuth Dandy to track her down. Aitkens' Emporium ("Tailors, Mantle Makers, Silk Merchants, Domestic Bazaar") is in bitter competition with another store in the town of Dunfermline, House of Hepburn ("Hosiers, Glovers, Clothiers, and Milliners"). The Aitkens fear that Mirren has eloped with Dugald Hepburn, a scion of the rival family. Before long, Dandy must tackle a related homicide, only to become a suspect herself.
Actually...Mirren is found during the Emporium's fifty anniversary party. And she hasn't eloped. In fact, she's not going anywhere except to a resting place six feet deep. And her intended, Dugald, isn't far behind. And, while Dandy does spend an uncomfortable few hours in the police station answering questions, I can't say she's every seriously suspected. But Dandy does tackle the investigation and, finally--after quite a tangled trail--discovers the truth of the matter.
Count me baffled. I'm baffled about the ending. It has got to be one of the most complicated solutions to a mystery out of all the mysteries I've read. I read the ending a second time because I couldn't wrap my head around it the first time. I'm still not sure I understand all of the family connections going on here. I'm also baffled as to why on earth this won an Agatha award for Best Historical Mystery. I'm baffled about why Dandy is described in a blurb as "an enthralling heroine; part Dorothy Parker (in her dreams), part Miss Marple (Christie's elderly sleuth is about 100 times sharper)" and why we would mention any of this in the same breath as Agatha Christie.
I thought the debut novel (After the Armistice Ball) was a decent first book in the series. And, despite a few misgivings, I thought the third novel (Dandy Gilver & the Proper Treatment of Bloodstains) was a fun book and did the historical side of things well with bonus interesting premise. Unfortunately this one has none of those good points. In fact, the longer I think about it, the more I wonder if the ★★ that I'm assigning isn't a bit generous....
First line: Whatever I was expecting when I decided to take a turn around Dunfermline--I was early for my appointment and it was a particularly pleasant day--it was not this air of jubilance.
Last line: I was very glad indeed that out of everyone around, I was me.
*************************
Deaths = 2 (one shot; one fell from height)

.jpg)




















No comments:
Post a Comment