Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2026

The Agathas


 The Agathas (2022) by Kathleen Glasgow & Liz Lawson

Synopses (from book flap): Last summer, Alice Ogilvie's basketball-star boyfriend, Steve dumped her. Then she disappeared for five days. She's not talking, so where she went and what happened to her is the biggest mystery in Castle Cove. Or it was, at least. Because now, another one of Steve's girlfriends has vanished, Brooke Donovan. Alice's ex-best friend. And it doesn't look like Brooke will be coming back...

Enter Iris Adams, Alice's tutor. Iris has her own reasons for wanting to disappear, though unlike Alice, she doesn't have the money or the means. That could be changed by the hefty reward Brooke's grandmother is offering to anyone who can share information about her granddaughter's whereabouts. The police are convinced Steve is the culprit, but Alice isn't so sure, and with Iris on her side, she might be able to prove her theory.

In order to get the reward and prove Steve's innocence, they need to figure out who killed Brooke Donovan. And luckily Alice has exactly what they need--the complete works of Agatha Christie. If there's anyone who can teach the girls  how to solve a mystery it's the master herself. But the town of Castle Cove holds many secrets, and Alice and Iris have no idea how much danger they're about to walk into.

So...if you've read one (or more of the blurbs) and believe this to be a really Christie-driven narrative. Yeah, no. There are superficial Agatha Christie connections--like the title. Is there any real reason to give it this title? No. Did anyone at any point in the book every refer to Alice and Iris as "the Agathas"? Again, no--at least not that I noticed. Beyond the fact that Alice throws in a reference to Christie and/or her detective Hercule Poirot (and his little grey cells) periodically, the girls don't really follow any of the fictional detective's particular methods. They talk about the psychology of the crime, but is it figuring out the psychology that leads them to the murderer? No. They talk about "order & method" and go so far as to draw up a list of the suspects and motives and whatnot, but that's about as orderly as they get. The only other connection (and a somewhat tenuous one) is Alice's disappearance. It gives echoes of Christie's own disappearance when she found out her husband was cheating on her.

Full disclosure--I don't read a lot of Young Adult novels. They're just not my thing, but I needed one for a challenge. I chose this one because it was a mystery and it looked like having a nice Christie connection (Golden Age mysteries are more my thing). Now, it's perfectly possible that I might have rated this one higher if my expectations for better Christie connections either hadn't been there in the first place or had been met. But they were there and they weren't met in a satisfying way. The mystery is decent and it was a quick read. I enjoyed watching Alice learn what real friends are like once she gets involved with Iris and Iris's friends (who remind me of the gang from Mystery Inc). We had a multi-layer ending and just when I thought we'd hit the final layer, we went for one more. 

If Young Adult is your genre and/or you go into this with lower Christie connection expectations than me, then you may find yourself giving this one four stars (the most popular rating on Goodreads). As for me... ★★


First line: ALICE OGILVE IS CRAZY.

Last line: We might as well make some trouble together.
********************

Deaths = 3 (two hit on head; one natural)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry folks, but I have been getting an incredible amount of spam. I have adjusted my settings and all messages will be moderated from now on. If that does not take care of the problem then I will have to go to the "Prove You're Not a Robot" thing--which I hate as much as you do.

If your name does not appear automatically, please tell me your name in the comment. Otherwise you will just show up as "Unknown." Thanks!