Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2026

A Wallflower's Guide to Viscounts & Vice


 A Wallflower's Guide to Viscounts & Vice
(2025) by Manda Collins

Synopsis (from the back of the book): A wallflower by choice, wealthy Lucy Penhallow would rather sit out the dancing all season than listen to the flattery from the fortune hunters who pursue her. But when she and her best friend's brother witness a crime in progress, they'll need to put every skill Lucy's learned from reading detective stories to the test in their hunt for a missing woman. And if Viscount Gilford happens to be handsome as sin and clever to boot? Well, that's no hardship for her.

Viscount Gilford needs a wife to save him from financial ruin [after an unscrupulous steward embezzles funds from the estate], and there's only one heiress who's off limits [as his sister's best friend]. So when he and Lucy find themselves inextricably linked in the tabloids, it's a disaster. As their investigation progresses, their once unwelcome alliance becomes something more--a love match neither will give up. But there's a killer watching their romance from the wings who's only too happy to keep those meddlesome sleuths together in the afterlife.

This one is in a tie with How to Dance with a Duke for least favorite Manda Collins book so far. The romance progressed even more quickly than those in the other Collins romance/mysteries I've read. And the mystery was far less compelling and more confusing. I'm not sure if Collins is changing her style a bit for this new Wallflower offshoot from the Ladies Most Scandalous series or if this is just a less successful entry in her general romance/mystery repertoire. Either way, it didn't hold my attention in the same way and I wasn't terribly interested in the Lucy/Gilford relationship. We went from "I can't be interested in my sister's totally forgettable best friend" to "Wow, she's so beautiful I could never forget her" in less time than it takes to be reintroduced. All that was needed to push Gilford right off the romance cliff was for his friend Woodward to show an interest in her. Then he starts looking daggers at every man who even dares to look at her.

Spoiler Alert.... 

As far as the mystery goes....I don't understand why all the killing was necessary. After the fake kidnapping, why didn't the two violent lovebirds just hop on a boat for America and go get married? Did we really have to kill so many people? And I wish it had been more clear that Mr. Blackwood was really okay at the end. There's one sentence that makes it seem so...and I hope so. Hopefully, the next installment will get back on track. My favorite Collins book so far is A Spinster's Guide to Danger & Dukes. I hope to see another just as good in the future. ★★ and 1/2

First line: He was too pretty to die.

Last line: "My dear lady," he said as he rose with her in his arms and headed for their bedchamber, "is that not why you married me?"
*******************

Deaths = 5 (three stabbed; one natural; one hit by train)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry folks, but I have been getting an incredible amount of spam. I have adjusted my settings and all messages will be moderated from now on. If that does not take care of the problem then I will have to go to the "Prove You're Not a Robot" thing--which I hate as much as you do.

If your name does not appear automatically, please tell me your name in the comment. Otherwise you will just show up as "Unknown." Thanks!