Thursday, April 14, 2011

A-Z Blogging: Letter L


April is speeding right along! We're up to day number 11 on the A-Z Blogging Challenge. Every day in April (except Sundays) I will be doing a post for each letter of the alphabet. It is my plan to make most of my posts reading &/or book-related. April 14th is brought to you by the Letter L.

L is for Libraries. I love libraries. I've loved libraries since my mom first took me to our local library. That was back in the day when I had a bright orange cardboard card that had a metal plate on it that was used in some mysterious way by the librarian in a machine that went "ca-chunk" and indicated that the desired books were mine for two weeks. I loved knowing there was a huge building filled to the brim with books and that I could go and borrow them any time I wanted! Then when I moved to my now home town I lucked into one of the best public libraries ever. Not only is it rated in the top ten nationally for service and collections...but I knew we had a winner when one summer their theme was science fiction and they displayed a giant model of the Enterprise from Star Trek.

L is also for Personal Library. I don't mean the hodge-podge collection of books that I currently have. I mean the dream library that's on my life-list (bucket-list, whatever you want to call it). One of these days there will be a room in my home absolutely dedicated to books. The real deal. Shelves all along the walls and comfy reading chairs.

And, finally L is for Library Loot.


Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Clai
re (The Captive Reader) and Marg (The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader) that encourages bloggers to share the books they've checked out of the library. If you'd like to participate, just write up your post, feel free to steal button, and link up using the Mr. Linky on Claire's site this week. And, of course, check out what other participants are getting from their libraries.

Here's my haul for this week. It's pretty hefty (and will grow) because I'm stocking up for my recovery after surgery.

Death of a Doxy by Rex Stout
Third Girl by Agatha Christie
The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl
Intruder in the Dust by William Faulkner
Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard
Black Sheep by Georgette Heyer
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards by Lillian Jackson Braun
The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman

From the Library Bookstore:
Playground of Death by John Buxton Hilton

And Leftover Loot:
Victorian Tales of Mystery & Detection: An Oxford Anthology by Michael Cox (ed & selected by)

3 comments:

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I love to find piles of library loot, and from now on that's what I'll call it when I make a haul. Then other times I go and just can't find anything good.

fredamans said...

I am mad at my library.
I used to be their most loyal patron until they charged me $11 for a book I returned. Worse still no one will correct the mistake, so now I won't go to any library.
If I can't buy it or get it for review, I don't need it that bad.

Bev Hankins said...

Sorry about your experience, Freda! I've had nothing but good experiences with libraries so far.