Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wondrous Words Wednesday


Kathy over at Bermudaonion's Weblog hosts Wondrous Words Wednesday. If you come across a word (or two) while reading that is new to you and would like to share your new knowledge, then hop over to Kathy's place and link up!

Here's what I've got this week from How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu:

Diegetical: In a diegetic manner or way [Oh, that helps...onward to...]
Diegetic: Of or relating to diegesis [Now I understand completely...]
Diegesis: A narration or recitation

Context: A man, as the theory goes, falling through time at a constant rate of acceleration, will not, absent any visual or other contextual clues, be able to distinguish between (i) acceleration caused by a force that is diegetical in nature and (ii) an extra-diegetical force.

Um. Okay. Do we all understand now? This is on page 33...I'm still trying to settle into the book and see if I like it. There have been some very interesting and some very funny lines, but overall I'm a bit lost.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Even the definition of that word is way over my head!